Help!!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just today bought 6 Corydoras habrosus (they're a type of dwarf cory like Pygmy Cories, just less common).

Anyway, one of them appears to be dying and if I don't do something fast I'm afraid I'll lose him. He just sits on the bottom and won't swim with the other fish. His fins are clamped but coloration is normal. The weird thing is he keeps falling to the side. He sits there, gradually tipping to the side, and then once he's nearly fallen all the way over he struggles back upright. But, even then he seems to be leaning a bit. I'm can't tell if this is an actual symptom of something wrong with him or if he's falling over because he's dying. :'(

The only other thing I noticed with the new Cories is that one has some minor finrot. Others are perfectly healthy. When I bought them all the fish in the tank appeared healthy, but they're just so tiny (1/2-3/4 inch) I guess it's hard to tell when there's a lot of them at the store. They are currently in the 10 gal q tank, pH around 8, temp 78 (a wee bit on the high side for these cories perhaps, but they are going in the 20gal with a Betta so I have to keep the temp higher), ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates all 0 since I just set up the tank yesterday. The filter in there has been running in my 20gal so it is cycled.

Anyone have any idea what's going on or what I can do for him? The dwarf cories are pretty delicate so it's possible the trip home was just too much for the poor guy. He seemed to be swimming fine in the bag when the guy caught them at the store. I was thinking it was a swim bladder problem, but then I didn't think something like that would affect him so quickly.

Well, any thoughts anyone?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ouch, that's not good, that's all I know. When I got my tank from my grandpa after a few months this happened to one cory, then it died, then passed it onto the rest of the cories until they all died. I don't know what it is but it's fatal. I'd love to help but didn't know what cures it. Possibly try raising the temp to 80 and running to the store and buying some maracyn, I think that treats for multiple things or some other medicine that you can find that treats for as many things as possible if nobody else knows what it is. Maybe somebody else knows that can help. Do some daily water changes that should help and maybe some medicine, other wise I don't know, it will die, though if you just noticied it, it should have at least a day or more, unless it was like this at the store :-\ Sorry I can't help

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Poor little guy. Well, just went and checked on him and he's sitting there looking like a perfectly healthy Cory, but he will not get up and play with the others. I hate it when this happens, fish is dying and there's nothing wrong with them! I think I may try a Maracyn 1 and 2 combo...maybe that will help him, and anyway it should get rid of the finrot that one of them has. I hate to have to treat 4 perfectly healthy Cories, but I don't want to take them out of quarintine the day I got them, especially if the one cory's condition is contagious. Too bad I don't have the money for a second q tank. Well I'll let you know how they're doing.

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I hope everything goes well. Hope those 2 get better.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks Inuyasha lover.

Well, the store didn't sell either Maracyn 1 or 2 (I know, weird)...so I ended up getting Jungle Fungus Clear. At least that should take care of the finrot, we'll see if it helps the "tipsy" one.

So far all of them are hanging in, hopefully that will continue. The strange thing is, I saw the tipsy one swimming and he was perfectly balanced--in fact I thought I had mistaken another one for him. But the moment he settled down again, he bagan tipping over. I can't figure it out at all...there is not a thing I can see wrong with that fish, he just can't sit straight!

Heh well for now they get some nice blue water. : Will keep you updated.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is he really in distress? or maybe sleeping. My Aeneus corys sleep leaned against stuff sometimes. Keep your water changes up and check your water readings. Good luck1 sorry I can't help more any chance of pictures soon ?
Carol

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I woke up today to find one had died as I sort of had expected...but the weird thing is that the one who died is not the tipsy one but the one with finrot. I guess I must have underestimated the extent of the damage...or else maybe the finrot coupled with the stress of being bagged and moved to a new aquarium was too much for him.

The tipsy one is no longer tipping that I can see, but is just sitting there apart from the others looking miserable. However, I am now almost sure it is some sort of swimbladder issue. I observed another one of the Cories--one of the perfectly healthy, active ones--struggling to "land" on the bottom. Every time he settled down he would start floating up a bit. But, his swimming is perfectly fine.

Anyone have any idea what this is or how to treat it? Basically, in summary, the Cories are off balance when they try to sit down but their swimming is perfectly fine. One of them acts perfectly healthy, but the other sits (or tries to) with clamped fins.
???

Oh and sorry they are so tiny a clear pic is not really possible, plus the water is dark blue from the meds so all you'd get is a tiny dark blur.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just looked in on them and there is no sign of any of them tipping--all were sitting on the bottom just fine. Who knows. Maybe they just needed clean water. The tank they were in at the store was very small and overcrowded, and while it appeared very clean I can't imagine the nitrates being at optimal levels. Or, maybe they had a bit of a bacterial infection and the meds took care of that. I guess I'll never know. Hopefully the remaining 5 stay healthy. No signs of finrot in any of the remaining ones but I think I'll leave in the meds for now, just to make sure.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, the tipsy one died a few days ago although he wasn't showing any more signs of actually falling over. :'( The other 4 are looking good though. Will keep them in q for another week just to make sure they are ok, but I am sure they will be fine. These dwarf Cories are so cute but I have a heck of a time keeping them alive, especially since they sell so young... but, they're worth it even if I lose a few. I'm considering maybe trying to breed my pygmaeus or maybe even the habrosus sometime, that'd be awesome. ;D

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry you are going through this! The fish always seem to look fine at the store, but once you get them home, the problems start. My guess is he was sick already, and when he was moved to a different environment, it started becoming apparent. Don't beat yourself up over it.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, another one died today. This happened when I bought my C. pygmaeus too...I bought 6 and ended up with 3. Although, with the pygmaeus they were actually sick. I can't figure out what's wrong with the habrosus. They're so tiny though, I guess they must be pretty delicate and I actually am not too surprised to have some losses initially. Just a bit frustrated cause those are not cheap fish... Poor little guys, hopefully the other three stay healthy. I'll do a huge water change today and hopefully that will help.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
A good water change is always something good to do. Again, I'm so sorry. :'(

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This may be totally off-the-wall, but have you tried giving them a little pea dinner? At the least it'll be a treat for them. Also, do you think it would be worth the effort to talk to them at the pet store (by phone or in person) and see if they've had any problems with fish in the tank that your 6 came out of? If they have, maybe it'll give you info on taking a preventative step for the remaining corys. Either way, I hope they stay healthy and will be a happy addition to the family.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry I haven't updated in a while.

Good ideas FLBettaCouple. I don't think Cories would eat peas but calling the fish store would be good...heh don't know why I didn't think of that myself.

The remaining 3 are still alive and well, and actually seem to have improved over the last week or so. However, I have noticed a few strange symptoms:

1) One of the Cories has something wrong with one of his eyes. In the middle where it should be black, it is instead yellowish. I don't know if this is a condition the fish was born with, or an infection, or what. I don't know whether or not the fish was like that when I bought him, but I first took notice of it a while ago. I thought I noticed that the gill was a bit reddish under that eye, but it may have just been the fish's coloration or my imagination. However, I have seen that fish "flashing" and rubbing that side on the bottom twice, so maybe something is bothering him. Also his color seems a bit paler than the other two, but that may just be natural coloration. Otherwise he is the biggest and healthiest acting of the three. (since I haven't gotten around to naming them yet, we'll call this one Cory #1)

2) Another Cory seems perfectly healthy except for the way he sits. His tail is partly clamped, and raised upward, so that the back half of the fish is tipping up. Also he is less active than the other two ane tends to have his dorsal fin drooping rather than held erect like it should be. Otherwise, the appearence is perfectly normal. (this one will be Cory #2)

3) I have also noticed rapid breathing and "flashing" (rubbing their side on the bottom) of one of the other Cories--I believe #2 but possibly #3. One of these two fish was also seen once going crazy at the surface of the water...the best conclusion I could find for his behavior was that he was somehow starved of oxygen and repeatedly gasping for air. This makes me think there is a possibility of some sort of gill parasites ??

Other than these things, the Cories seem healthy and happy. I think I will drop in some parasite meds though. I hate medicating, especially when I don't know what the disease is, but I don't want to lose any more Cories and so I guess I might as well try parasite meds, and see if they do anything. I am probably going to use Jungle Parasite Clear tank buddies--anyone used that? (I already used Jungle Fungus Clear in that tank, and I can't fully remove it with carbon since there is just a sponge filter in that tank, but I know that the Jungle products can be used together so it shouldn't be a problem.)

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
0morrokh said:
Other than these things, the Cories seem healthy and happy. I think I will drop in some parasite meds though. I hate medicating, especially when I don't know what the disease is, but I don't want to lose any more Cories and so I guess I might as well try parasite meds, and see if they do anything. I am probably going to use Jungle Parasite Clear tank buddies--anyone used that? (I already used Jungle Fungus Clear in that tank, and I can't fully remove it with carbon since there is just a sponge filter in that tank, but I know that the Jungle products can be used together so it shouldn't be a problem.)
Reading your post, that's what I was going to suggest as a next step. I'm not sure, but i think the fungus clear sort of 'wears off' after a while and the meds part of it eventually is gone. Good luck with your little guys.. those Corys are great. We have to give 4 of ours to a friend. The betta in the tank with them decided last night to start eating their wafers and we fly out this morning for 2 weeks & have no tank to put them in, so she has a nice big tank they can hang out in until we find a permenant solution. I'll miss the little buggers.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry to hear you had to give your Cories away. I love the little guys, even if they do always give me problems.

Saw 2 of them flashing today so I'll definately treat for parasites. I can't actually see anything so I have no clue what it might be, although I have my suspicions it may be something in the gills. They otherwise seem healthy and not in distress, and are all active and eating so I think they will be ok as soon as I can get rid of the parasites.

So, the only other thing to solve is Cory #1's wierd eye. I wonder if I could get a decent pic of it...

Heh Wow, this post actually isn't the length of a novel!! ;D

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Upon doing a bit of research I am sure my Cories have gill flukes.
Symptoms include rapid breathing, rubbing their gills on surfaces, and gulping for air at the surface of the water. I have seen all three of these things at least once or twice.
Apparently Cories are one of the fish that gill flukes are common on. Small fish may die from a bad infection--which would explain the two Cories I lost "for no reason".
Salt is supposed to kill the flukes, but I have a feeling salt would do my little guys a lot more harm than good, so I willl try to find a medication that treats them. Apparently the tank can be disenfected after having flukes simply by drying it out for a while.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
0morrokh said:
Upon doing a bit of research I am sure my Cories have gill flukes.
Symptoms include rapid breathing, rubbing their gills on surfaces, and gulping for air at the surface of the water. I have seen all three of these things at least once or twice.
Apparently Cories are one of the fish that gill flukes are common on. Small fish may die from a bad infection--which would explain the two Cories I lost "for no reason".
Salt is supposed to kill the flukes, but I have a feeling salt would do my little guys a lot more harm than good, so I willl try to find a medication that treats them. Apparently the tank can be disenfected after having flukes simply by drying it out for a while.
Yea, I think salt is real bad for corys.. Does Fungus Clear or the other 'clear' product Jungle Labs (brain fart, can't remember the name) makes cover gill flukes? Or something like Maracyn, Maracyn-2 or one of the other broad spectrum antibiotics? Maybe the product descriptions at the DFS site would say? When we're back from our trip & on our computer, I'll research that and take note of what you find out since we still have the 2 corys in the platy tank. Good luck with yours and i wish i knew about gill flukes more so i could be more help.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jungle Labs Parasite Clear cures gill flukes. JL Fungus Clear is for bacterial stuff. Same with the Maracyns...they are for bacterial infections, not parasites.

Well, the three are still hanging on. A bit less active, but I think they're just doped up from the meds. Tomorrow I do the second treatment, so hopefully that will take care of the flukes. It's awfully hard judging how they are doing, since you can't see the flukes, but anyway they don't seem to be getting any worse.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
0morrokh said:
Jungle Labs Parasite Clear cures gill flukes. JL Fungus Clear is for bacterial stuff. Same with the Maracyns...they are for bacterial infections, not parasites.

Well, the three are still hanging on. A bit less active, but I think they're just doped up from the meds. Tomorrow I do the second treatment, so hopefully that will take care of the flukes. It's awfully hard judging how they are doing, since you can't see the flukes, but anyway they don't seem to be getting any worse.
I hope they'll be clear of the gill flukes by the end of the 2nd treatment.. maybe even hyper.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom