Help! 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Damian19, Apr 8, 2010.

1. D

Damian19 Valued Member Member

Ive been having a problem with my 10 gallon tank.First of all,the last cory that i had that died had the same symptoms of the cory that i have now.His barbs were missing and he didnt look so good,he would sit at the bottom slouching a little bit.Sometimes he would look like he was suffering and would twitch a little bit.The cory i have now looks like he's dying and he sometimes goes to the surface,floats up side down and goes back to the bottom.:eek:His eyes kinda look like they are popping out too.Do you think i have a disease in my tank?What could this be and how can i fix my tank so my other fish dont go through this?I have 1 blue paradise fish,3 bloodfin tetras,3 neon tetras, and 2 cory catfish(one that has the problem).Last time i checked my ammonia test was 0,nitrite was 0 ,and nitrate was 20 ppm.I dont know about ph.I vacuum the gravel and change some of the water once a week.I replace the filter cartridges monthly.I feed my fish aqueon tropical flake food.I started my tank in february 2010.

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm sorry about your fish :(
    Sounds like part of the problem the problem is pop eye.
    It's usually attributed to poor water conditions but your parameters look good so it might be bacterial.
    If everyone else looks good, it would be a good idea to move him to a quarantine tank.
    I recently had success with maracyn and maracyn 2 (combined)

:( I'm not sure about the floating upside down. Before you treat, you might want to do some searching. Possibly excess gas bubbles or swim bladder.

I hope other members will chime in and maybe have some definite answers for you.

Good luck!

3. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore.

You shouldn't change your filter cartridge. It houses your beneficial bacteria, and changing it every month means you are throwing all of that away, and probably spinning your tank into mini-cycles regularly.

You can take a knife and make a slit where the carbon is, and toss that. Then all you have to do is rinse the cartridge in discarded tank water (never tap) whenever it gets gunky. It actually doesn't have to be changed out until it's totally falling apart. Most people have had theirs in for years.

When you do change it, you want to put the new one in the tank for a month and run them together before tossing the old one. That way, the bacteria has developed on the new one, and your tank is more likely to stay cycled.

4. OP
    OP
    D

Damian19 Valued Member Member

ok USA!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice