help? 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Rainbowfish' started by Bobby Callaghan, Apr 5, 2010.

1. B

Bobby Callaghan Valued Member Member

i have got 4 neon dwarf rainbowfish and they are all staying in the bottom region of the 90 litre tank, they are not lying on the gravel but they are very low, and i thought they were supposed to be middle dwellers.and one of them is very agressive and i dont know why? please help. Thank you. :-\

2. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

How are the water parms?

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

How long have you had them? 23 gallons is enough for a small school. Is there anything else in the tank? (its good to keep your aquarium info up to date so people can better help you)

4. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

If that's all that is in the tank I bet they'd be happier if you had a couple more of them! Do you have lots of hiding places? The more hiding places the more secure they will feel and the happier they'll be and then they'll be out and swimming more (most likely)

It'd be helpful to know what your water conditions are and such as well.

5. OP
    OP
    B

ok. my water is ok, but not perfect. and now i have a very big problem. they are all now in the correct region of the tank but they are all trying to kill eachother, i was told they were peaceful. First i had 2 and they were bothering my 4 corys so i got 2 more. at first they all shoaled together but now they are all darting round like mad and as it seems, headbutting one another, there are no obvios signs of damage.
    Is this really neon dwarf rainbow fish behavior?? :(

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

no, that is not their normal behavior. males have RED fins...how many males do you have?

rainbows have a very high schooling drive and when there arent enough of their own kind, theyll look for other fish to school with. those other fish might not want to, and it can appear that they are harassing them, when in reality they are just trying to get the other fish to swim with them.

7. OP
    OP
    B

ok thx. things are better now and they are all happy. they have all settled in nicely.
    i have 3 male and 1 female.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice