Help!!!!! 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by KimP, Mar 24, 2010.

1. K

KimP New Member Member

We had our betta of 8 month die on us. In the last 2 weeks we have lost 2 more betta, a bottom feeder and now 2 mollies....don't know what is going on. Tested the water and everything was fine on all the readings except it said that our water was on the hard side. When we first set up the tank we used the water from our RO system. About a month ago we did a major cleaning and I used the tap water but I also used the dechlorinator and put some of the aquarium salt into it as well. Could this be the problem.... I followed the directions on the bottle/container before adding the water to the tank. Also we are now see signs of algae build up on the glass. The only thing left in the tank are some zebra danios and a couple of glo fish. Do I need to do a MAJOR water change, this is what we are contaplating because we are wondering if there is something wrong with the water that isn't showing up on the test strips. Completely clean the gravel, plants and dec before we put the rest of the fish back into the tank or even adding any new fish. I desperately need some advise....

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore. :;hi2 I'm sorry to hear about your fish. :(

Chances are your tank is now going through cycling because of the big cleanout. Here's a link on the nitrogen cycle that will help you understand what is going on: https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Unfortunately test strips are unreliable at best so the readings from them can't be trusted. I suggest you invest in an API Liquid Master Test Kit. They are very reliable & in the long run will be much cheaper than using strip tests.

For now start doing daily water changes of about 20-50% using dechlorinator. That should help your fish out. Make sure you are not over feeding as this can cause more ammonia in the tank to. DO NOT clean all the plants, filter, glass etc. Your filter should only be cleaned in old tank water, NEVER tap water.

Read up on the nitrogen cycle & how to cycle a tank. It is the most important thing you will ever learn aobut fish keeping.

3. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Sorry about your fish losses.

Changing from RO water to tap water probably caused a large ph swing which can be deadly to fish.

4. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Adding salt will have made that change even larger as salt raises the PH. Usually PH shock wouldn't take a month though IME. It sets in pretty quickly. Usually within hours or a couple of days at most.

5. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore !!
    Im also sorry for the losses :(
    salt and fw fish dont mix....as well if you have brown algae, its just diatoms which is common for new tanks...it goes away in time...if its something else, let us know.....at this point you probably have to recycle your tank and heres a good link with products that will keep the fish safe while doing so https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-nitrogen-cycle/61238-3-best-if-cycling-fish.html and if you check this link, kens has the api master test kit that would be much more reliable than your strips as nutter mentioned   good luck!

6. OP
    OP
    K

KimP New Member Member

Should I completely empty the tank and start over.....I have a 1 to 1 1/2 gallon bowl that I could put the danios and glo fish in for a few days. I am lost as to what to do. Could I have had a sick fish and didn't know it and it affected the tank. We are talking about draining it washing everything down (in hot water only is what I was told...no bleach) and re-setup the tank again like it was brand new. Should I stick with only the ro water or use the tap water with the dechlorinator.....we have hard water. Plus our house is on a whole house filter system incl a water softener AND if I use the tap water do I need to use the aquarium salt.

7. Shawnie

did you read the link nutter gave you? and then the 2 links I shared?
    No you dont have to start over just continue to make them safe from this point on...the links will help you with that..the salt isnt needed ever and can be removed from the tank with water changes everyday...which is what you need to do at this point :)

8. OP
    OP
    K

KimP New Member Member

thanks Shawnie, unfortunately I am at work so doing the "quick" read is not feasable....I will look at the links tonight when I get home. I know we have to do the weekly cleaning, which we usually do over the weekend but was going to do it tonight with loosing the 2 mollies last night. But (without looking at the links) do you recommend using the tap water or the RO water. What is better for them. I have no problem with draining our RO system to use that water for the tank. This is what was used to set the tank up originally.

9. Shawnie

your tap water is fine with one of the conditioners thats in the links ;) good luck!

10. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I think the most important thing is to consisitantly use RO water or tap water, but don't switch from one to the other. (Though you could use a consistant 50-50 mix of the two if you wanted.) I guess what I'm trying to say is that consistancy is the most important thing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice