Help!!!!!

Teresa

Reaction score
4 of my swordtails have white stuff all over them even their mouth. I treated with Jungle Fungus clear waited 4 days did a 50% water change, then repeated and it's still there. None have died, but they are laying on the bottom. Readings are fine,temp. is at 78 what should I do. Should I treat for parasites instaed of fungus ? HELP !!!!!

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It could be ich. They make a medication for getting rid of it so you just need to get that and slowly raise your temp to above 85 F(the parasites can't live past that temp).
Tom

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If it is ICH you really don't need the med. All you need to do is raise the temp to 85 1 degree an hour and that should be enogh. The temp will kill the parasite, but you need to have it at the 85 degrees for 2 weeks for it to work. Don't start lowering until the 2 weeks are up. Can you post a pic of it? Natalie

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
but what if that temp. (85) is not good for the fish, it cant be that high for them can it.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Does the white stuff look like grains of salt or sugar, or is it cottony?

Teresa

Reaction score
It looks like a thick coat of white slime all over their body even their mouth. Today one is looking better not as much slime but they are holding their top fins in . Ill try and post a pic. Thanks to all

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would like to see the pic, but my Pygmy cories had a disease that sounds similar. What your fish have is probably some sort of bacterial infection, doesn't sound like ich. I successfully treated my Pygmies with Melafix. Just make sure not to use Melafix if you have any labyrinth fish in there as the chemicals in it are fatal to them (but are perfectly safe for fish without a labyrinth).

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Excess sliminess is generally caused by a combination of protozoan parasites.  You need a medication that treats external parasites and you need to raise the temperature of the tank slowly to 85 degrees as the fish CAN have Ich and it would be hidden by the excess slime.  Ich is commonly one of the parasites involved in this type of infestation but it is seldom caused by only one type of parasite so you have really sick fish.  This situation is considered a tank infestation as it is extreemly contagious and the whole tank is suffering from it even if it has not shown up yet.  The causes are generally overcrowding, poor water quality, or inadequate nutrition.  There is a medication called QUICK CURE that is Formalin based that works particularly well on this type of problem and can be used with no problem unless you have fish of the Tetra group in your tank, in which case the dosage will have to be cut in half.  I would do a 50% water change before starting any medication and of course, you MUST remove the carbon from your filter.  Quick Cure may affect your biological filter so you may have a mini-cycle when the disease is cured but the disease will kill your fish so the alternative is not pleasant.

If you cannot find Quick Cure, any Formalin based medication will work.  Just follow the directions on the label.

If you raise the temperature a degree every 2 hours or so 85 will not hurt your fish, although you will have to run an airstone to increase the oxygen level in the water. I do not believe that 78 is warm enough for them if they are having parasite problems.

Rose

Teresa

Reaction score
Thank you all for the help. I have been using the Melafix for 3 days now, the bottle says yo use for 7 and then do a 25% water change. I will raise the temp. to 85. I do have the Quick cure, but should I use it with the Melafix? I have tried to post pictures I went to browse and then clicked on the picture that I wanted and then clicked onpost, it acts like it is downloading and then it just does nothing. I set for 45 min, the other day to see if it would and it did nothing, any sugestions. Thanks,Teresa..... I'll try again to post a picture after I post this one.

Teresa

Reaction score
I can't get them to post if anyone knows why let me know. I guess I could send them to one of you and you could post them. Let me know . Thanks again Teresa

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom