help 50 Gallon Tank

1. luxorghost Initiate Member

i just got this tank and i put in three oscars and three jack dempseys
    they are all about two inches long.
    one of my oscars is laying on the gravel.
    i dont know if it is sick or if it may be preparing to lay eggs or what.
    its christmas day and i cant get anyone out here that knows what to do.
    please help as i dont want to lose this fish.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!

sounds like the tank needs to be cycled...if you dont know about the cycle, heres a link that will help a ton! https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

unfortunately in that size tank, you have room for your 2 dempseys and nothing else :( even smaller fish like these guys, produce a ton of waste and wont have enough space to get around...

3. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Merry Christmas and Welcome to Fishlore:;balloons

Sorry its under these circumstances. Do you know your water parameters? I hate to tell you especially since you didnt ask but you have too many fish in your tank. Oscars get huge and are really messy, they need a much larger tank than 50 gallons. Hopefully you will have a bigger tank for them as they will outgrow that one quickly. Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? Once you give a little more information on your tank, maybe someone can offer some help. Good Luck

4. luxorghost Initiate Member

i appreciate any help
    i have 2 tanks that i can get my hands(should be about 75 gallon) on but not for a week or so
    the pet store told me that this tank was good, i am real new to this so i dont know about the parameters or the cycle yet. i orderd species specific books but they havent arrived yet.
    i only have a ph test kit
    i am finding that i started really unprepared; and am trying to play catchup
    i did do an ick treatment for the white spots. the pet store told me that all fish get this from transport, i have now put my charcoal filters back in to clean up the tank.
    any advice on what next?
    sorry, the stores arent open and i relly want to help these fish especially if this could be my fault

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

ALLOT of us have been where you are luxorghost..its not fun and so frustrating...I can so relate :)

your pet store is way off and always remember one thing in this hobby if you never remember anything else....

MOST, if not all, pet stores are out for YOUR money not the benefit and health of your fish ...its sad but so very true :( I would take the oscars and 1 dempsey back and ask for refund....

at this point I can give you a few things you are going to need asap

1. a test kit...api makes a liquid master kit that has everything you need and will do 100s of test ..dont let them talk you into getting the strips at all..they arent reliable and will throw you all off

2. prime water conditioner....it will detoxify ammonia/nitrites (poisionous part of the cycle process) with daily water changes will get you you through the cycle...

3. see if you can find some tetra safestart ..its an instant bacteria that can help cycle the tank in 7-10 days ...DO NOT let them talk you into anything else but tetra safestart...and they will try trust me!! If you can find it, (you may have to order it offline or check a bunch of different stores) then we can help more with that...

otherwise, your prime, daily partial water changes with your tap water thats at the same temp as your tank, and a few weeks of patience, will save your fish...but you definitely have to return some or you will have casualties :(

good luck!

6. luxorghost Initiate Member

thank you sooooooooooo much.
    i will do so immediatelly
    the store will be open in the morning and i will take fish and pickup safe start.
    i will keep posting updates and questions. thank you again!

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

your welcome..and like I said, be preparred for them trying to talk you into other things if they dont have what you are looking for!!!!! especially if they sold you 3 oscars and 3 dempseys for a brand new 50g tank....maybe even print this out ? or write it all down?

8. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore Luxorghost!!:)

I agree with everything Shawnie said 100%.

Your petshop is only after your money unfortunately. They should never have sold you those fish for a 50gal tank. Also despite what the petshop has told you, all fish do not come with whitespot due to transportaion. If the petstore has whitespot in thier tanks, then they should have those tanks under quarintine & not be selling those fish. All the fish you buy should be in good health & don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There are profiles on Jack Dempseys & Oscars in the Aquarium Stocking section of the forum under the heading of fish profiles. This will give you some of the basics about your fish until your books arrive. The best thing you could have done is come here to Fishlore as there are heaps of nice people with plenty of knowledge on here that will be only to happy to help you with any problems you have or just give some encouragment that your on the right track.

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fish Lore Lux! Above posters have you covered with great information. Please keep us posted on your progress.
    Enjoy the site!
    Ken

10. luxorghost Initiate Member

thank you all so much
    i did a partiall water change (aprox 6 gallons)
    put my carbon filters back in and used tetra aqua water clarifier
    and vacumed the gravel.
    they are all swimming again, however the oscar that was laying on the gravel has his dorsal fin tucked back.
    i think they should be ok if i keep maintaining daily.
    also the store wont take the fish back unless they died within 15 days. so i am going to get those larger tanks this week
    you are all lifesavers thank you so much

11. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Craigslist is a great place to find used tanks. It's a lot cheaper than the stores.

12. luxorghost Initiate Member

thanks for the advice

13. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I ran into the same problem when I was just starting out and with the "help" of one of stores in my area, very quickly got overwhelmed. I found a very helpful site to prevent overstocking in the future...you put in your tank info then can choose from the list the type of fish you are interested in and it will calculate the bio load and let you know if they will work properly or not...here is the link

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php

Good luck!

14. luxorghost Initiate Member

thank you
    i am aparently overstocked by 318%

15. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I found that site very helpful...like I said, my lfs had me severely overstocked and I had no idea. I assumed they knew what they were doing when they sold me fish but I soon figured out they either didn't know or didn't care. I started out with a 75 gallon tank, I got it cycled and ready for fish but when I went to buy them, I ended up getting....4 oscars, 3 bloody parrots, a large pleco and a red belly pacu. WAY too much! They basically all needed a larger tank...each!

16. yhbae Member Member

Do you feel the stocking level reported by the app is wrong or are you in agreement? I couldn't tell from your message here... :)

17. luxorghost Initiate Member

i think the site has it right on
    while all six fish are getting along, they all need a bigger tank individually

18. yhbae Member Member

Oh good... ;D

19. luxorghost Initiate Member

:;toast
    thanks to all that have helped
    the oscars are doing good and the dempseys are as well