HELP

1. Maranda_Godfrey Initiate Member

Hello I just noticed that my Pleco's have like a white film over them and their eyes are fogged over. I dont know much about them so i was wondering if they hibernate andif that is what they are doing or if they are dead. Please if someone could respond back soon it would be deepl;y apreciated. thanks

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Maranda welcome to Fishlore!!! Stop into the welcome forum and tell us a little about you and your tank(s).
    Plecos don't hibernate. Do they move if you prod them? How big is your tank? how big are your plecos and, what else is in with them? Have you done any water tests? The answers to these questions will help us help you. Don't despair!!!! We are here to help!!
    Carol

3. Maranda_Godfrey Initiate Member

Carol, my aquarium is 55 gallons, 2 of the Pleco's are about 4 inches and the other one is about 5 inches, it has been cold here the past couple weeks and my daughters broke the heater on the tank. could that have something to do with it? we havent done any water tests but have had the plecos for almost a year now and have had no problem with the water. please reply back as soon as you can i really apreciate your help.

4. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Hi Maranda! Welcome to FishLore! I saw where you posted in the welcome forum, and tried to merge the 2 topics, but it didn't go well, so now you know where your post went! Anyhoo, your plecos definately need a heater in their tank. It would be even better if you had 2 heaters in that tank to better evenly distribute the heat. I think the general rule is 10 watts per gallon, but I'm not quite sure about that. I have 2 300 watt heaters in my 55 gal. and it works great. It sounds like your plecos are sick. If you can, get an ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate test right away, and please post what your results are from each test. Liquid tests are best, and the most economical way to buy these tests I have found is to buy an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test Kit. You can get them online for around $15.00, but they are usually $30.00 at your local fish store unless you get them on sale. Once you post your results, we can help you further with your tank. Your water can look great and have high ammonia or nitrites. The only way to tell is to test your water. Let us know! ;)

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yes you definately need a heater, since plecos are big waste producers there could be a big ammonia and Nitrite reading without the water looking bad. keep us posted ;)
    Carol