Help

1. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

I am getting a 10 gallon tropical aquarium and I Need Advice.  By the way, the site is awesome.  I've read the stuff on here and a few other sites and books, and I'm wondering if anyone has advice from their experience? (DON'T do this or MAKE SURE you do that :))
    Thank you!!!

2. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

What are you planning to try with your new tank?
    I am always glad to help out where I can.

Dino

3. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

like, fish?

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

What kind of fish do you want? Do you have a filter and heater? Is it cycled. We need to know more about your plans and what before we can help.
    Carol

5. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

The aquarium that I'm getting is a kit that comes with a filter, heater, thermometer, and some other things and I think a test kit.  I am planning on getting fish like danios, platys, guppies, neon tetras.  I know about the cycling process and all that, I've read (almost) everything freshwater on the site.
    will post more later g2g

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Those are nice beginner set-ups ;) Platys and guppies would be good in there. A trio(1 male & 1 female) of either would be pretty. The danios and neons like to school and so need several of each species(prob 6 each at least) and room to swim so a 10 Gal isn't large enough. A long tank is ideal.
    Are you going to use live plants? or artificial? Plants live or artificial will provide cover and therefore security. Also provide cover for any fry you may have since both of those are livebearers. Hope that helps.
    Carol

7. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for your help! I am going to get lots of artificial plants.

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

No problem. Give a yell if you need anything else.
    Carol

9. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

Ummm I don't have the tank yet but I'm sure when I actually get it I will have lots of questions!

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Thats fine just let us know.
    Carol

11. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

That's cool Newbie. I wish you lots of good luck with your new tank. It's so good that you read and ask questions before setting up your tank. You'll be an informed beginner :) I've had my fish for a little more than a year now, but I still consider myself a beginner. There is always so much to learn in this hobby! But it's a great hobby nevertheless :) You asked for most important advice. I would say: gotta have a heater, filter, and a thermometer (which you already have), and an air pump to give lots of oxygen to your fish. Make sure the test kit has all: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH tests. You'll know what to do with these tests since you're familiar with the cycling process. The most important thing is to wait until the water is ready, then get your fish. And try not to get too many fish at once because a newly cycled tank may still have not enough bacteria. It's better to gradually add fish. And of course it's better not to exceed the "1 inch of fish per 1 gallon" rule, and the best thing is to use the "1 inch of fish per 2 gallons" rule. But ... that is just a suggestion. Hmm, what else ... oh, yes, as Butterfly said, it's important to consider the tank size relative to your fish's size so that the fish have a lot of room and freedom to swim. And like Butterfly said, have some hiding places for them so they feel secure :) OK, that's enough of my babble, lol. Good luck!

12. Craig Well Known Member Member

its great when 1st gettin ur tank and the 1st batch of fish r in good luck and keep us updated emma

13. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

Yay!!! I have the tank (no gravel, decorations, etc yet but i have the tank, heater, filter, etc.  it was a kit)but I have a question (many more will follow ;)).  Is it safe to, instead of adding dechlorinator, to just let tap water sit out a day or 2?  like before adding it to the tank?  Does that make the water safe?
    Thank you all!!!!

ps what color gravel should i get?  natural? blue, green?  I know you're not suposed to get really bright colors cuz the fish get spooked....Also i know it has to be lime free....all thanks to this site  :)

14. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Whether it's safe to let your water set for 24 hrs and use depends on what your water company puts in it. You can call them and they will tell you what they add. If just chlorine is added then yes you can let it sit out and out gas. If they add chloramines then you need a dechlor that removes chlorine and chloramines. You can use the really cheap dechlor that does both but doesn't have all the fancy additives. I keep a bottle of Wardley's dechlor(1.97) on hand. Hope that helps.
    Carol

15. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

OK Thank you. I think I will use dechlor just to be safe. :)

16. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Thats cool ;)
    Carol

17. Craig Well Known Member Member

i let my water sit over a period of 6days in 2litre bottles, it helps then i just pour the 3 bottles in2 my tank saves time but its also cause i dont hav a hose or anythin 2 refill my tank, get the natural gravel goin!! it looks good lol

18. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

YAY!!!!! its all set up but now i have to wait for the water to cycle... :-\  ill see if i can post some photos later. :) :) :)

19. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

pictures!!! I love pictures!!!!

Carol

20. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

me 2 ;D
    ill try and get some soon!