Help

Manicmoment

Reaction score
Me and my partner set up our tank a week ago, Neither of us are beginners I had tropical fish when I was little up to 18 ... And he had a tank before hand... We set up the tank and left it to settle for a week brought live plants stones etc and got the filter going... As I said we then left it 7 days to settle, We went out last sunday and brought 6 tetra's as we know not too buy more but 3 of them have died so far, We have the temp stickers which is at 83 so thats normal for the tank... We also done a water check that advised the water was 9.5 alkaline the book says thats ok which im not too sure about? ??? We were going to go out again on saturday to buy some more but i'm not too sure about this I don't want to buy more for them to just die... I know tetra's do not usually last long, but the 3 had died within 4 days of getting them, Just wondering if there is any advise anyone can give us? Anything more we can do for the water?
Many thanks

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you know about cycling the tank? You need to cycle the tank before you put fish in the tank. Cycling usualy takes about 4-6 weeks, but if you are cycling with fish it could take longer. Neons are not the best fish to cycle the tank with as they are not the hardiest of fish. Danios can do well while cycling with fish, but it can shorten their lives. :-\

Here is a link for more info on cycling : https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Please don't go out and buy more fish untill you know your cycle is done. Neons do like to be kept in groups of 6 or more though.

The PH is a little high. What is your PH reading out of the tap? What is your Ammonia, NitrAte and NitrIte levels?

Sorry if you already know about cycling, but it is the most important thing you could know before keeping fish.

Gwenz

P.S. - How big is your tank?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes please do read the article on the Nitrogen Cycle and use one of the methods to cycle your tank if possible. The neons are not very strong fish to be using for cycling and any fish you use to cycle a tank will never be healthy more than likely and will have shorter than average lifespans if they live through it. Ammonia which is the first by product of the cycle process is the major cause of death in Tropical fish, and it would help a lot if you had a test kit to keep track of the build up of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in your aquarium water as the cycle process happens so you can do massive water changes as they are needed. You will find that the above compounds will become toxic to your fish very quickly during cycling. If the water changes are not done when this happens your fish will die. This is why we recommend one of the fishless cycle options. Should all the little fish die, it would be my recommendation that you start over and do a fishless cycle before restocking your tank with any more fish.

You can get an excellent Master Test Kit from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, which is the one most used here as it tends to give the most accurate and dependable results (the test strips are notoriously unreliable and give inaccurate results that can be disasterous during cycling) at the following place.

I hope this helps you. Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Welcome to Fishlore.com. I do hope you find it an enjoyable experience here. We are a friendly group and have a lot of fun with our fish but also take them very seriously when it comes to their care and wellbeing.

Rose

Manicmoment

Reaction score
Hi, the tank size 36 by 12 by 15... We are aware of the circulation process we were advised to buy fish gradually, as this would allow the fish to naturally perform the cycle. We have done this before with our own tanks and it has never been an issue before, and it has even been from the same water source. We are experiencing a water shortage could this possibly be a reason for this?

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Very possible. It would be interesting to know if your water contains ammonia or nitrates straight from the tap. Also, set a bowl of tap water out just before going to bed. Test the ph. Then test it again the next day to see if there's a substantial difference. This will be something good to know about your water when your tank is more fully stocked.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It would really be best if you got yourself a good test kit that includes tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. And it would be great if you posted all the readings here for us. We all love Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test Kit - it is a liquid test kit that is very accurate and reliable. You can buy it for only $13 on Big Al's Online ().

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To really help it is necessary for us to know the results of recent testing and so we can get an idea of how the tank is progressing and where the levels of these compounds are. It would also be helpful to know, as Gunnie has asked to know the levels of any of these compounds in the tap water that you are using. I know you may not understand why we do need this information, but it does make it so much easier to know how to help. I am sorry we did not understand that you were testing. If you could also let us know what testing equipment you are using so we know what to compare it to in reference to what we are used to.

Thank you.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
We get a lot of first-time fishkeepers on this forum, so sometimes we just assume that people don't know about things like testing and cycling. We're not meaning to offend anyone or suggest they don't know what they're doing if they really do. Just thought I'd mention that.
Like Rose said, knowing test results is really helpful.

Manicmoment

Reaction score
No sorry its Fine... Its just we have both had tanks before as I said were not actually beginners... I dont use the internet at the weekends so i was unable to reply, But we have done all the test and everything seems to fine now... We have brought some more tetra's and there all very happy

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom