HELP!!!

Jesse12

Reaction score
Im only a begginer and sadly to say most of my fish have died :'(but ive got 3 left

my balloon molly has a swim bladder diese :'( i found that i should feed him peas but he ant eating them. wat should i do ???

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He is probably having a great deal of trouble eating if he is not being able to turn himself upright. Sometimes lowering the level of the water or putting them in a quarantine tank with a low water level helps them to be able to eat, but with swim bladder disease sometimes it is just as well not to feed them anything for a few days as the problem can be caused by too much pressure on the swim bladder due to overfeeding. If you wait for the fish to be given a chance to clean himself out, it may help correct the situation on its own. If the fish is very constipated, it may not make it unless it can start to poop on its own.

Rose

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to the forum Jesse

First, a couple of quick questions: How large is your tank? How soon after you set it up did you put the fish in? How many fish at once did you put in there? Are you familiar with the Nitrogen Cycle?

Answering these questions will let us determine how we can help you.

Dwarf Gourami

i feel REALLY stuipid since i didnt do my reaserch.  :'(

its about 3 gallon
2ballon mollies, 3neon tretras, 1 blackskirt tetra, 1 platy, 1 male betta and this yellow skinny 1 about this long  ____________________
it was 3 days i waited

and until i did my reaserch i never had ever herd of the Nitrogen Cycle
but there was only 3 that died of diese the others just got eaten by each other

i still fell stuipid about it and wish i could do it all over again
:'( and i am jesse12 just forgot to change acounts

Jesse12

Reaction score
also after a week 1 of my female mollies died :-\ then 9 days later i got another female mollyand she died then about 2 weeks later i got another and the stuff to breed them. she lasted another 2 weeks then died the same ways as the rest of the mollies
what happend?? :-[.

the wierd thing is that the only ones that have died of diese were the female mollies and the black skirt tetrea ???

Jesse12

Reaction score
chickadee my fish is consterpated! :-[

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
A 3 gallon tank is WAY too small for as many fish as you have (or had). A tiny tank that is not cycled and that has way too many fish, I am sorry to say this, but will not succeed. You either keep the 3 gallon tank and have maybe 3 tiny fish in it (like, 1" each fish), OR you get a much bigger tank for all the fish you have. Otherwise, they cannot all live in such a small tank. It is impossible.

What I'd do now, if I were you, is try to save as many of the remaining fish as I can by doing frequent water changes. But I don't think they'll live anyway, but ... you have to hope, always. Besides that, please DO your research on the Nitrogen Cycle. After you've understood what it means, you'll know what to do. Ask if you need any help.

Good luck.

Jesse12

Reaction score
hey isabella my mums got these really big goldfish in here pond outside and some of here fish have died of this slimmy stff covering them and getting into there gills. wat is is? my mum put some green medicine in there and i put some in mine. ???

P.Scan ya help me with my balloon molly as writen in the other messages from me since my molly is consterpated and has a swim bladder diese and i really dont wont hiom to die

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Slimy stuff could mean many things (ex., velvet disease). It's certainly a disease. But you can't just put any medication in the water. You have to make sure what the disease is first. There is a Diseases Chart in the Freshwater Diseases board; please read it and try to find out first what disease your fish has. Once you know what disease it has, there are instructions on how to treat it. But remember, as long as your tank is still cycling, and as long as it has any ammonia and/or nitrite, your fish will never be healthy. Which is why I urge you to read about the Nitrogen Cycle. You cannot do without understanding what it is in the fish hobby. Also, as long as your tank is overstocked, the fish won't be healthy either.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A 3 gal tank is WAY too small for all those fish. Also they are all incompatible with male Bettas. You could keep the Betta in there (although I don't recommend it), but you have to monitor the water extremely carefully. Go to the Betta Fish section for info about Betta care (Chickadee is the Betta expert around here). The other fish have to be moved to a larger tank. I am sorry to say this, but there is pretty much no chance that they will recover if they are in that small of a tank. Sorry I can't sound more optimistic...

Jesse12

Reaction score
yeah ok ok iv read it and i only have 2 fish in there now so please get of that subject already! i fell bad enough >

i only need help now with my molly thats got a swimbladder diese and is consterpated

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't get mad, we're just trying to help. Don't worry about it...so many people (including me) make that mistake when they first start out. Don't be too hard on yourself about it. Trust me, I killed more than my share of fish when I first started out... We're not trying to accuse you or anything.

I can't really help about swim bladder disease, but I hope your Molly gets better.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If the Molly cannot eat the peas and is not responding to the lowered water level to be able to help the fish eat some peas, then the next best thing is to put the fish on a fast and not feed them at all and try to relieve the pressure on the swim bladder by not feeding them and letting the constipation clear. You can raise the temperature in the tank to about 82 degrees to help raise the fish's metabolism and help them be able to go. The only other solution I have heard of for constipation is a bath in epsom salts water.

You need to dissolve 3/4 teaspoon (measure carefully) of epsom salts (not regular salt) in a small amount of tank water in a cup of some kind. Then put the epsom salts in the 3 galllon tank full of water at 82 degrees temperature and leave her there overnight and hope that will help get her over her constipation. If this does not help then I do not know of any more remedies. This is all the remedies that the medical books on fish that I have list. The problem is USUALLY caused by overfeeding but can also be a bacterial infection, but this is very rare. If you knew a vet who treated fish they can sometimes help.

Rose

Jesse12

Reaction score
THANK YOU!!

ive noticed that he hasnt beed floating on his side any more (at firsy he'd stay up write 4 a wile thaen slowly turn side ways)
but he hasnt beed doing that since i stoped feeding him but he hasnt pooed for a VERY long time about 3 weeks now uless it was when I was asleep.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He is doing something to relieve the pressure on the swimbladder or he wouldn't be able to get himself turned around but I wouldn't start feeding him just yet. He can go a week with no food with no problem and then when you do begin to feed him again just give him a couple pieces of food to start with and perhaps try to make it some peas to begin with. He may be hungry enough to give them a try and get the rest of him cleaned out. He can have about 2 or 3 days on peas and then S-L-O-W-L-Y go back to eating way less than he was and having some fiber in his diet even if you have to get him some Daphnia like the Bettas eat for fiber instead of peas if he absolutely will not eat peas.

I do hope that this contiues to help. Just take it very slow and easy as it will come back if you do not. Now that he has been constipated he will be more apt to do it again so he has to be watched from now on and fed very lightly. OK?

I am so glad he is better.

Rose

Jesse12

Reaction score
Thank You its just my mum who beats me up about this (not literly)

over the while why I was waiting for a answer he got better and he has started to be himself again he pooed a little bit last night his been flearing up his fins at the platy again and his swimming properly.

Jesse12

Reaction score
I think his close to getting better cuz his stared to poo ;D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom