Help!

newbie91384

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not sure if this goes here or what I'm still getting used to all this board posting stuff...

I bought a powder blue gourami with the orange stripes... beautiful fish....and I already had an opaline in the tank.... i wasn't thinking and put both together since the tags said they were peaceful..... well they are now chasing eachother.... tips tri is suggestions??? And take it easy on me I did some research and found that some said it was ok....
20180501_205832.jpg

I have a powdered blue dwarf gourami and an opaline gourami... I just bought the powder blue one last night and the opaline is picking on it. Someone suggesting re homing one.... the tags said they are peaceful fish, yet I have a bully. I'm assuming that they are both males and I was thinking that it was a pecking order thing and would work it's self out.... the bully will chase the other one for a bit and then leave it alone...the other one Sticks to one side of the tank and hides. Can u also help me identify if these are males or females?

38g bow front
Amonia 0
Nitrates 10
Nitrates 0
Ph 6.5 to 7 crushed coral added
Sand substrate.
No plants just fake but considering real.

20180502_091735.jpg
20180501_205837.jpg
20180502_091648.jpg
20180501_205820.jpg

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
newbie91384 said:
I'm not sure if this goes here or what I'm still getting used to all this board posting stuff...

I bought a powder blue gourami with the orange stripes... beautiful fish....and I already had an opaline in the tank.... i wasn't thinking and put both together since the tags said they were peaceful..... well they are now chasing eachother.... tips tri is suggestions??? And take it easy on me I did some research and found that some said it was ok....View attachment 434715
Do you know the gender of either? Males can be aggressive to either gender.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You should probably separate them its what happened to my gouramis and now I only have 1 left he's great though. Very vicious.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO, best tip is to rehome one and just stick with one gourami species per tank. Its likely not to stop, and can cause illness for the weaker fish due to constant stress.

newbie91384

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lilabug4545 said:
I would move the new guy out of there ASAP!
I will have to take him back to the LFS. I was hoping they would just get the dominance thing out of their system and move on lol... the opaline chases then stops chases then stops.

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
newbie91384 said:
I will have to take him back to the LFS. I was hoping they would just get the dominance thing out of their system and move on lol... the opaline chases then stops chases then stops.
That seems like the best course to take.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Trust me I don't think they will just make a pecking order like that and they won't stop fighting probably. I had 4 gouramis and there was a bully, I thought they would stop. NExt week 3 dead (each died from stress one at a time) only one left was the bully. My parrot fish too they never stop fighting/ chasing each other. Rehome one or separate them before the same thing happens to you.

newbie91384

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OneLittleBubble said:
Trust me I don't think they will just make a pecking order like that and they won't stop fighting probably. I had 4 gouramis and there was a bully, I thought they would stop. NExt week 3 dead (each died from stress one at a time) only one left was the bully. My parrot fish too they never stop fighting/ chasing each other. Rehome one or separate them before the same thing happens to you.
I'll probably end up keeping my dwarf and getting the opaline a new home. Sucks bc I ordered another opaline and another dwarf. So the other opaline will be getting a new home too...

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could put them in a different tank

Or you could see if the other gouramis are aggressive. You know what's kind of funny though. I put the bully gourami in a new 30 gal with some parrot fish and he started bullying them too. I guess gouramis are aggressive and parrots are peaceful lol

newbie91384

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OneLittleBubble said:
You could put them in a different tank
I wish I had room for another tank. But sadly I do not. My dream is 125 gallon, but I need a bigger house.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi newbie91384, your threads have been merged, you can find your threads by clicking on your name & going to ‘your content’ you can also if using the web version click on ‘Your activity’ in the tab above

newbie91384

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Coradee said:
Hi newbie91384, your threads have been merged, you can find your threads by clicking on your name & going to ‘your content’ you can if using the web version click click on ‘Your activity’ in the tab above
Yay!! Thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom