Help Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FearlessDreamer, Apr 24, 2018.

1. FearlessDreamerValued MemberMember

It’s been about 2 months now and I’m at a loss. My Betta has fin rot. First I tried treating him with bettafix and it improved but after a while stopped helping. So I went on to 25% water changes everyday as well as a daily salt bath, but after a week no improvements were made. So I did a huge 90% water change, removed all the plants and dosed the tank with melafix(I know it’s basically bettafix in stronger doses) but I have doubts it will work... what should I do? Fish is still swimming around happily and eating though he’s not too pleased with the removal of his plants... I don’t know what to do... parameters of the tank have been testing normal, only developed fin rot do to me stupidly having fake plants that he tore his fins on..
    IMG_1584.jpg

2. GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

Beautiful fish! Melafix usually works well for fin rot. You could try Artemiss Microbe-Lift. It is chemical free and I have had great success with it. If you really want to bite the bullet, you can use Kanaplex and Furan-2 together. One handles the fungul issues and the other handles the bacterial issues. If it doesn't fix it, I'd be quite surprised. Clean water in a cycled tank usually will fix it alone. If nothing else has helped, I'd bet you have a fungual or bacterial issue. None of these meds hurt my beneficial bacterial at all. Good luck!

3. FearlessDreamerValued MemberMember

Thanks, I’m new to owning bettas and have never dealt with fin rot. I feel so guilty because he’s such a sweetheart and I can’t help him. His tank is well established has been set up for about a year, previously used for guppies. I’ll have to see how melafix works for a week and if not try kanaplex and furan-2... I just want it to go away so he can be happy without worries.

4. GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

Sounds good. Many don't like Melafix but for fin rot, IME, it has done well. Keep the water pristine. Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice