Help

1. Evanwd

Evanwd Valued Member Member

58a9b03b99c29591f384ceaedb60cb8f.jpg 30414d1c2aeb816183a8012db2dab712.jpg

These darn snails are everywhere I pick them out and they come back in numbers within the week! They are small two millimetres at most I never let them any bigger I take them out but they keep coming back i don't know what to do!

2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

They look like Ramshorns to me.

3. OP
    OP
    Evanwd

They are also eating my plants so their dying :( they came from the moss ball

4. Katie13

One of the first things I do is put a leaf of lettuce in the tank, leave it in overnight, and remove it in the morning.

5. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

If you feed less then they won't come back as easily. Fish can go 2 weeks or so without food if going on vacation. Their stomach's are the size of a pin. Snails will reproduce faster if they're fed.

I to wanted to get rid of them when I first got them. Then I was told about the overfeeding and decided they weren't too bad. Now have ramshorn, pond, bladder, mystery, and Malaysian trumpet snails in all my tanks.

Would not have a tank without them now.

6. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Remove the fish, drain the tank. Rinse the tank thoroughly. Get new substrate. Bleach dip all plants and decor. Fill the tank back up, add fish.

I'm smaller tanks this takes about an hour. Larger tanks with snail infestations are a different animal.

7. OP
    OP
    Evanwd

What about my cycle? Can I bleach dip the gravel as well? Do I need to dilute the bleach in water or straight bleach? How do I know it's safe

8. MikeRad89

Dechlorinate a bucket of water and put your filter media in that while you work.

Bleach to water solution 1:10 should be used. Make sure everything is rinsed afterward so there's no more smell.

I wouldn't bother trying to work with the substrate. Just dump it and buy new stuff.

9. Katie13

The substrate looks looks to be gravel though making it easier to work with.

10. OP
    OP
    Evanwd

Could I use a base to neutralize the acid or would a base be harmful to fish?

11. OP
    OP
    Evanwd

e5e554bc45b538f3b5d6d42edc5f64e0.jpg

Will this stuff work? Also if it's a 1:10 ratio how does that work like 1ml of bleach per 10ml or 1ml per 10L I have no idea how that works

12. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

You can just go pick up a couple assassin snails.... Let them clean house and start feeding fish every other day for a while.

13. MikeRad89

Bleach is a strong base. In water it quickly breaks down to chlorine which is easily taken care of with water conditioners. It's not as bad as it sounds.

Yes 1:10 means 1 part of any measurement to 10 parts any measurement.

Assassin snails will leave your tank riddled with shells. Not the way to go in a small tank.