Help

1. BigAcp

BigAcp New Member Member

I sat a 10 gallon tank up about two months ago and let it go through the cycle and everything. I got 6 black skirt tetras and 4 swordtails, I went to spend the night at ny sisters and when I came back 4 of the tetras had did and one just now died and the last one is about to die because it's on its side. I started checking them and 1 swordtail has lost hald its fin on one side and dont move it much. all 6 of the tetras had the tail fin mostly gone ive been changing the water out once a week and feeding them once a day. Can anyone tell me what happened? They all seemed fine two days ago.

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

What are the parameters of the tank, that'll be a start.

Also, your 10g is too small for either one of those species, much less both of them as the same time; this can add up quickly to a poor water quality in addition to any possible stress from being in a small space. There may have also been an ammonia spike from too many fish in a little tank.

With a death this fast as well as the symptoms, it may be columnaris; any pics you can provide would be greatly appreciated in helping to determine what is happening.

3. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

An ammonia spike could have caused it too. Definitely need to know your water parameters please.

4. OP
    OP
    BigAcp

BigAcp New Member Member

e5abf62515daa280d507781371e9909b.jpg the last one just died and all six of them looked like this. Their fins was tore and was coming off. I knew my tank was not big enough and was trying to get a twenty gallon long tank but I can't go over a ten gallon where I live but I think I can get away with it. Do you have any suggestions on how to stock my ten gallon tank? I'd like to buy some shrimp and fish but want them to fish that's suitable for a ten gallon.

5. M

Manjit Valued Member Member

planted tank with a betta and a invert

6. Kellye8498

I would probably just make it a red cherry shrimp tank. They are gorgeous and will breed like crazy. You might even be able to make a little money out of it. I sell shrimp to my local fish store and use the profit to buy fish food or sponge filters for my tanks. It's a pretty awesome deal actually lol.

7. M

Manjit Valued Member Member

nice idea

8. Kellye8498

I'm a bit biased as I really love shrimp tanks but you know, lol. I love that it's something that is at least a little profitable. I could also make more money by selling on craigslist or something similar because I can keep prices lower than the fish store but higher than they pay me and really be able to buy some more fish stuff but I will stick with them for awhile because they helped me start my colony so I owe them a little xD I got half of my adults from them and half from a great place on eBay that sent me amazingly high quality shrimp so I don't have to worry as much about the inbreeding. It's really fun watching the babies grow. I'm currently trying to hatch some eggs that someone dropped on a marimo ball after a water change. I'm not sure if they were dropped due to the water change or because it was a new mom but either way I am hoping and praying they hatch. It would be so fun to see the little babies running around the mesh breeder for awhile until they are large enough to escape and make their home in the main tank :)

9. OP
    OP
    BigAcp

BigAcp New Member Member

How many would you say in a 10 gallon tank? Id like them not to breed so I would have to get all of the same sex but my petco doesn't know how to tell the sex of the aquatic creatures. Its the only pet store near me unless I want to drive 2 hours.

10. Kellye8498

You wouldn't want the red cherry shrimp to breed? They only live about a year so you might actually want them to breed just to keep your investment going for more than a year. Especially since they cost around 4-5 dollars a piece. It can be hard to tell between girls and boys definitively but girls have a saddle where males don't and their tails are wider in order to carry eggs properly. Males are also close to colorless. Females are deep red in most cases. I added around 21 to my 36 gallon and I have seen a few babies moving around the tank and they are adorable. Itty bitty versions of the parents.

I buy a lot of my RCS online and have them delivered so I can pay less and get better quality shrimp.

11. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

Oh terrible, sorry for your losses:( I have a 10 and at my max with 2 swordtails and 3 balloon mollies. The mollies are my favorite, like little friendly puppies, I knew nothing about them until I purchased them...I then read that they are "commercially" bred this way and are actually deformed. Makes me sad but at least I'll know they have a good life while here with me. I wish I would have done shrimp at some point, I never have but so many people like them. Good luck!

12. OP
    OP
    BigAcp

BigAcp New Member Member

I only have a ten gallon tank at the moment I wouldn't want to to breed and it get over stocked again. If this wasn't the case I would love for them to breed. Would a beta, a snail and two cherry shrimp be over stocking in a ten gallon tank?

13. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

The Betta would probably have a nice e dinner of shrimp. Then again maybe not depends on the Betta.

14. Kellye8498

It's really hard to get overstocked on shrimp. I have seen people keep hundreds in a 10 gallon. You can always sell some to the fish store and get some credit for fish food or something as well if you feel you have too many eventually. If there is going to be a betta in the tank it's likely as soon as your shrimp have babies they will be a very expensive snack for your betta though so there's that lol. Just look at it as free betta food xD

15. OP
    OP
    BigAcp

BigAcp New Member Member

What's some good tank mates for cherry shrimp? What's your stocking ideas? Hundreds of shrimp seem to be a lot in a small ten gallon tank. lol I would want them to be eaten alive so no beta fish

16. Kellye8498

I have mine in with mystery snails and a lemon bn pleco. Everyone gets along fine and I have seen babies spring up around the rock quite a few times so they are in there. Shrimp have almost no bioload so it's really hard to overstock a tank with them. If you have too many you can give them to friends, sell to the petstore for some credit toward other things you want, sell on Craigslist, etc. They are in pretty high demand and people are struggling to keep up so lots of stores are buying from anyone selling.

17. Kellye8498

They usually sell for 3-4 each if selling to people. More like 1.00 each at the petstore if youbjust really want to get rid of some right away.