help!!!!

NanoAddict

Valued Member
Reaction score
i havent been on the site for a while so hi but anyway

in my main 20 gallon long salt tank i have a yellow tail damsel, 2 bar gobys and a royal gramma
i went down to check on my fish and my royal gramma was swimming strange but it looked ok

so the next day i came down and found it dead
i decided that it was swim bladder disorder so i checked the ammonia and it was low but i still did a 1 1/2 gallon change and 2 days later i did another 1 1/2 change and everything was ok but a week later (today) i found a dead bar goby

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Swim bladder disorder is commonly caused by overfeeding your fish. The remedy I use for my Betta and I believe it would work for saltwater fish with some small adaptation, is to feed veggies for a while until they get cleaned out. (and cut way back on the amount of food) I do not know how long you have had your tank and I do not know much about your experience with fishkeeping so I am going to act as though you are a novice and if I am wrong, please forgive me.

I would get some vegetable flake food for Marine fish or some Kelp or something in the "green" food line and feed that exclusively - nothing else for a couple or 3 days and let their systems have a chance to equalize back to an "unconstipated" state. Constipation is a serious issue in fish and they have been known to die of it. It is wise to feed only a very small amount - a few grains and let them be a little hungry rather than to overfeed them. If they are fed a small amount twice a day they will not starve but will be much healthier than to allow them to eat "their fill" and be ill. The directions on most containers stating to allow them to eat all they want for a few minutes is going to cause a problem. Even when the problem is corrected, it is wise to do the "green food" thing about one time a week to keep their systems working properly.

If anyone has any additional comments, please feel free to add them. I do not have experience with saltwater tanks, but I do have with little buddies with digestive and swim bladder upsets.

I do hope this helps.

Rose

NanoAddict

Valued Member
Reaction score
thats probly a good idea as for age the gramma was about 8 months old and the bar goby was about 3 months old
i feed them every other day as to not overfeed them but i feed them a good amount of food but they eat it all
so ill try your idea thank you very much

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tyler said:
thats probly a good idea as for age the gramma was about 8 months old and the bar goby was about 3 months old
i feed them every other day as to not overfeed them but i feed them a good amount of food but they eat it all
so ill try your idea thank you very much
It really is more important to feed small amounts more often so they are not getting too much in their stomachs at one time. The amount stuffed in at one time is the problem not the frequency of feeding. I think you will notice a change in them once you get them cleaned out.

Rose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tyler said:
thank you very much
You are oh so very welcome. I just hope I have helped. Please let us know how they are doing.

Welcome to Fishlore.com. If I have missed you before I just wanted to welcome you now. I hope you enjoy this site as much as I have. The people here are great and really helpful. I have met many of my closest friends here. It has been a pleasure to try to help you. Please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything further.

Rose

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Tyler - when you say that "ammonia was low" it sounds to me like you have detectable ammonia levels and possibly nitrite levels. These two factors could have overly stressed your fish causing them to die.

Could you test your tank for the usual parameters (ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, pH, temperature, specific gravity) and post the exact levels? You also mention that your royal gramma was 8 months old. Does that mean that this tank has been setup at least this long?

NanoAddict

Valued Member
Reaction score
i have tested everything and it all is at healthy levels and the tanks has been up for 2 years

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom