Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Lucas Diaz, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Lucas DiazNew MemberMember

Hi, my girlfriend has a newley started 10g fish tank with 4platties and 4mollies. It has been running for about 2 weeks with fish in it now. Recently one of the platties hasnt been acting abnormal. She barely eats and it constantly releasing feces. Now she has what looks like a string of white feces coming out of her. Ive searched a bit and it says it could be a sign of an internal parasite. Her belly is also a lot larger than the other 3 platties.
    Any ideas what this might be? All help is appreciated!

2. GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

That does sound bad.. if you have pictures that would help

(By the way you have stocking issues, mollies cant live in a 10 gallon.)

3. meyowmeowValued MemberMember

It does sound like it might be a sign of a parasite. It takes a couple weeks before a tank is cycled and adding fish before cycling completes can stress the fish and make them more susceptible to infections etc. Do you have a water testing kit and if so, what are your water parameters (ie ammonia, nitrate, nitrites, and PH levels)? Also, 10g is too small for the type and quantity of fish you have which also might be a contributing factor. You may want to think about re-homing some of the fish.

4. Lucas DiazNew MemberMember

The tank was cycled for 2 weeks and the water was tested by our local pet store. There is a 30g tank being cycled now that the fish will be transferred to. This is a pic of the fish

Screenshot_2017-04-25-15-36-57.png

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  5. GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

I saw.. and that does look like parasites..

6. Lucas DiazNew MemberMember

Do you know what the suggested treatment would be?

7. GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

You can use polyguard mixed with seachem focus to put in their food. That way the fish eats the medecine. And so does the parasite.

There are many other meds out there that could work

8. Lucas DiazNew MemberMember

Thanks!

9. Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

I have used Prazipro with success for internal parasites. With that Huge a bioload I would be concerned that poor water quality might be contributing to the likelihood of illness.
    Are you interested in suggestions for managing the fish you have with these two tanks?

10. GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

Hope it pulls through!

11. Lucas DiazNew MemberMember

Yes any help/ suggestions are appreciated

12. KiksWell Known MemberMember

As someone has already mentioned you have stocking issue, but I bet you also have a cycling issue. Meaning that I don't think your tank is cycled. It might be close to being cycled now, but I definitely do not think it was when you added the fish. Get your own API test kit, they're great.
    Also, it definitely sounds like your fish has internal parasites.

13. Lucas DiazNew MemberMember

Ill go get a test kit now!

14. KiksWell Known MemberMember

Great! Don't buy test strips, though. They're very inaccurate.

15. Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

So to summarize/clarify: right now you have 8 fish in a 10 gallon tank with unknown levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.
    You have a 30 gallon tank sitting empty? Sitting with water? Fishless cycling using ammonia?
    What is your end goal: 2 tanks with fish? Just the 30 gallon?

Without more info I would suggest moving all the fish PLUS the filter from the 10 to 30 gallon. Then run Both filters. This is because with the larger volume of water the toxic waste from the fish will be more diluted. If you have extra money after buying the API kit I would HIGHLY recommend SeaChem Stability and SeaChem Prime. They work together to speed up your nitrogen cycle while you can still do water changes. TSS (mentioned by a previous poster) will not work with such a large bioload.

I have concerns about 4 mollys in a 30 - do you know how big they can get? Also, the pet store probably neglected to mention they are poop machines. @TexasDomer should be able to help with that.

16. HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

For internal parasites Levamisole is THEE best dewormer you can spend your money on.
    Next up is Praziquantel powder put in gel food like Grub Pie.
    Some people use Fenbendazole instead of Levamisole, you can buy some of that as a small dog dewormer. Some buy it as a goat dewormer, just have to do the math on dosage.

17. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

4 mollies in a 30 gal should be okay, particularly if there aren't other fish in there with them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice