Help!

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by AnonymousCatfish, Jul 4, 2016.

1. AnonymousCatfish

AnonymousCatfish Valued Member Member

My fish had ICH so I moved my riffle shrimp into a bucket with a new filter, which my LFS said would be fine. I have lost 2 of 3 shrimp and my filter stopped working. I am treating my fish with copper (which kills the shrimp) and have been running carbon for a day. My LFS said there was still a bit of copper left in the water. My filter just kicked out (I don't know why) and was wondering whether my shrimp could survive with a tiny bit of copper left. I placed heaps more carbon in an effort to speed up the process... What do I do???
    Is my filter producing something that is killing my shrimp?
    Where do I put them now?
    What do I do?

Please help!

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Was the water in the bucket treated? What are you feeding them?

I'd never heard of a riffle shrimp, but am Internet search tells me they are a fairly hardy critter, that can survive a variety of temperatures and other tank conditions. It also tells me that they are fan feeders, preferring to eat what the filter blows by them.

If you have completed the ich treatment, you can do a large water change, complete with substrate vacuum, and after running for another day with carbon, return the shrimp to the tank.

In the meantime, get their water circulating in the bucket with an airstone, and do a water change there too.

Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    AnonymousCatfish

Ok thank you! I did really big water change and all is fine YAY!

4. A

Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

That's a really cool shrimp! I wonder if you can buy them in the US... They breed in Freshwater apparently, you think someone would have imported them.

5. OP
    OP
    AnonymousCatfish

I highly recommend them! They are hardy and very beautiful. My favorite shrimp, Cocktail, was swimming like crazy in his refurbished tank and it made everyone laugh.

6. A

Stop! You're making me want even more, and I have no idea how to get some here in the USA D:

7. OP
    OP
    AnonymousCatfish

xD

Sadly make my tank stocking...

1 neon
    3 rasboras
    3 BNC
    1 shrimp

It is very sad :(

8. A

Did you collect the shrimp yourself, or buy them off one of your fellow countrymen? Also, sorry to hear about the losses, it always sucks.

9. OP
    OP
    AnonymousCatfish

I bought them off m LFS.
    It is local and is (I am pretty sure) the only one!

Here is the website but it is not yet finished and has no fish but you can contact them if you wish:

Facebook page:

You can see their tanks too!

Can you help me on stocking ideas please? I have no idea. I looked at the DG but really don't like them. I like otos and catfish. Do you have any ideas please!

10. maggie thecat

What size tank is it?

Neons and rasbora are both happiest in groups and the recommended stocking is to start with six to eight, for a twenty gallon tank.

So right there, upping their numbers , assuming you have at least a 20g, would be the first order of business.

What is a BNC?

11. OP
    OP
    AnonymousCatfish

Around 15 gallon (2 foot tank)
    BNC = bristlenose catfish MY FAVOURITE!

My last neon is dying now so I might not get a neon school.
    I really like my rasboras so ow many could i have if i only had those and my shrimp and BNC?

12. A

3 bristle nose plecos in one tank is a little much. They can get pretty territorial as they get older, and they are waste factories. I would recommend keeping only 1 bristle nose, uoping your rasboras school to around 12(or 6 and 6 if you do neons, but you should do Cardinal over neons, they do better in water above 74 degrees) , and your shrimp. Thanks for the link, but I doubt they ship to Texas USA xD. I might ask though, just in case.

13. OP
    OP
    AnonymousCatfish

Could I keep oto's in the tank and how many? I am really attached to my BNC so where do i put them? Are they okay for now, and if so for how long? One is about 6cm, the other 4.5, and the last one about 3.5cm.

14. Silister Trench

Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

Otocinclus catfish need a planted tank with plenty of algae to eat because of their digestive process These fish never quit sucking at plants, glass and rocks - eating.

They get at max 1"-1.8" so I'd round it up to 2" adult size and follow 1" per gallon rule. On a fifteen gallon by themselves I'd put 6 or seven tops. They're quite sensitive so ensuring a small, manageable bioload is necessary, so under-stocking is better. Those are a lot of hungry mouths that need plenty to graze on.

15. P

Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Otos need at least a 20g long tank. They're very active

Also, the "inch per gallon" rule should be ignored. It is outdated and inaccurate information

16. OP
    OP
    AnonymousCatfish

Really... In the Practical Fishkeeping Magazine somebody wrote in about their 60 by 30 by 30 cm tank and that they had 3 otos and 6 kitty tetras. The response was that they could add about 6 more otos and 6 more tetra.

17. maggie thecat

Ottos are aufwuch feeders. They need a lot of surface area to provide that, and they can be busy little fish. They can also stay in the same place for hours. Just depends. Anyway, that's very likely where the must have a 20L comes from. Having said that, a tank with lots of surfaces, like driftwood and decor will also grow plenty of aufwuch which can be supplemented with algae farmed on clay pots and vegetables.

18. OP
    OP
    AnonymousCatfish

Sorry, but what is aufwuch?

I have one large piece of driftwood and one small and both have many 'pockets' and caves in them. I have 3 large plants that look lie amazon swords but don't know their names, 2 chain swords and i am starting to carpet the floor in pygmy chain swords. Is this of for about 5-6?

19. maggie thecat

Aufwuch is algae and the stuff that grows in and around it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aufwuchs

So the more surfaces you provide, the happier they are. I find them on places like a submerged turtle dock (no turtle, my loaches like to rest on them), on the sponge filter, airlines, plus on plants and the glass.

So, yeah, I think you will be okay.

20. OP
    OP
    AnonymousCatfish

Yay! Also how long can I keep 3 bristlenoses in my tank?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice