HElP!

1. F

Fishyfishyfish New Member Member

2. mga1603

mga1603 New Member Member

hello! both of the fish you have stocked your tank with need to be in a MUCH larger tank. a 10 gallon is way too small for those fish! I recommend 3 platies for a 10 gallon with some shrimp and/or snails!

3. OP
    OP
    F

I'm surprised , neither fish look in discomfort and are both small. I had them for over a year. Is the tank really too small ?

4. mga1603

with yellow lab cichlids, the minimum tank size is 30 gallons with 50 being ideal. the bristle nose pleco should be in at least a 20 gallon.

5. OP
    OP
    F

Well I can't afford a new tank as of now. Will the yellow lab and Bristlenose Pleco die if I keep them in their a little wile longer .

6. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    It's WAY too small, your fish are probably stunted... I'd rehome and stock appropriately, there are quite a few smaller/ colorful fish you could add in their stead that won't be suffering while doing so.

edit: they won't die immediately, but you'll shorten their lives by alot, that is they'll live short miserable lives.

7. mga1603

I agree with Five 97. A school of 6 neons is also a great stocking idea for a 10 gallon tank and shrimp and snails would do great too. good luck!

8. OP
    OP
    F

How big should a yellow lab cichlid get?

I don't know what to do. I don't wanna shorten their lives but I know I won't be able to get a bigger tank for a wile. Do I give them away or something than get new fish.

9. mga1603

some local fish stores will take fish from owners. if not, just ask some friends or family if they are interested in some fish.

10. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Unfortunately if they have already been in there for a year, you have already significantly shortened their lives...the bn pleco should be approximately 5 inches after a year. I don't have experience with your other fish

11. OP
    OP
    F

They weren't originally mine. And have survived in the tank for a good year and a half. When they were given to me he told me even a 5 gallon tank would do. Maybe the fish isn't a cichlid but the other fish I am positive is a Bristlenose Pleco.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Mga1603 no you can't put 6 neon tetra's in a ten gallon. Also 3 platies in a 10gal is a no no. They produce to much waste for the tank. I would say get a beta, some snails, and some shrimp. Bn pleco aren't meant to be in a 10gal. They get 6-8 inches, they are pooping machines, and they NEED algae and driftwood. They also need a little meat and veggies.

13. mga1603

Sarah73, platies actually do great in a 10 gallon tank with frequent water changes. 6 neon tetras do great as well as long as the tank is well established. just my opinion though.

14. OP
    OP
    F

Is it an actual yellow lab cichlid

15. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

I looks like a lab to me...
    neon tetras need 20g min, but three platies should be fine in 10g Imo.