Help

1. Avaismyfava1

Avaismyfava1 Valued Member Member

My dog came back from the groomer yesterday, and he has been acting weird. He won't stand for very long, and when he does his tail is tucked and he kind of squats. He sits as often as possible and won't walk more than a few steps without hurriedly sitting down. He doesn't like to be held, but now he is trying to jump into my arms. He did this last time too, but it's worse this time. I don't know what to do. He is definitely in pain.

2. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

It sounds like he is scared or being submissive. Look around his tail and see if you see any blooding or bumps.

3. OP
    OP
    Avaismyfava1

We have looked and can't see anything, but that could be because he is a dark red toy poodle. We asked the groomer about it last time and she got.... Nasty.

He acts like he's been violated, almost.

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Do they empty the anal glands while he's there? That can often leave them a bit touchy in that area.

5. OP
    OP
    Avaismyfava1

They might. I know they trimmed around them so I will have to ask. That makes sense though.

6. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

This might seem like an extreme solution but perhaps next time you could take him to a different groomer and see if he acts the same way afterwards. If he's not any better in a day or so, perhaps a little visit to the vet wouldn't go a miss.

7. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

It sounds like you have an abusive groomer. I've seen this first hand at a vet office, the groomer was yelling at a very small dog. I wouldn't take your dog back there, if you do, make sure there is a camera on his collar or get a stuffed animal nanny can and tell them to keep it where your dog can always see it. Stress the always. I personally would just get a grooming kit, your dog will not look as good as a groomer, but you don't have to be worried about abuse. If this keeps up take him to a vet, maybe not the same place where he was groomed. I'm sorry this is happening.:(
    Edit: didn't see abut the anal glands, if they do this I would request they don't do it.

8. OP
    OP
    Avaismyfava1

Thanks, I will definitely look into that. A different groomer is not a problem; since I show dogs we know most of them.

9. Brizburk

Brizburk Well Known Member Member

Sounds like that groomer is being abusive to your dog.

10. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

I'm thinking the dog either got anal glands expressed and didn't like it, or has an anal gland problem and the groomer attempted to express but failed.

If you take anything you love to someone for help, and they get nasty, let them know their behavior is unacceptable and never go back. I don't do well with bad customer service but I and very loyal to business that seems to bend over backwards for me within reason.

Money talks.

11. Corine1

Corine1 Valued Member Member

Are there other sketchy reviews for that groomer anywhere? Maybe your dog tried to sit and she pulled it back up by the tail too hard too many times. Any groomer that gets nasty with an owner when asking about their pets wellbeing is not professional and I personally wouldn't trust