Help

1. SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

I just took a look at one of my bettas and there is something wrong with him. He is turning a blue
    grey color through his fins, towards the end of his fins it even looks as though the blue/grey color
    is a fungi or something, looks like something is on him!
    I took this photo a couple of days ago:
    [​IMG]
    This photo an hour ago:
    [​IMG]
    He is in my Quad tank. I tested the water:
    PH 7.6
    Ammonia 2.0
    Nitrite 2.0
    Nitrate 20
    I panicked, did a 90% water change and dosed with prime.
    I have put the other 3 bettas back in the tank, and kept Goldy out atm. Should i put him
    in QT/Hospital?
    The new readings of the tank are:
    PH 7.6
    Ammonia 0.25
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5.0

2. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Please clarify...

This tank has 1 goldfish and 3 bettas? How large is the tank? How long have you had this betta? When did you notice a color change? What's the temp of the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Goldy is now in quarantine tank by himself, i googled it and it seems he may be
    ill or stressed. So much for my new Quad tank, its been nothing but problems since
    i got it. First Dags got stuck in the air pipe, then Goldy jumped the divider and attacked Rain, Bluey is stressed and now Goldy is sick :mad:

This quad tank, 4 divided cubical is home to 4 bettas. The tank is 30L. Goldy, the betta in question is my newest betta, ive had him 2 weeks. The temp of the tank is 25c.

4. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Don't worry tokiodreamy, Goldy is a Betta;)
    Sabrina Brook, your Betta looks like he's just developing his colours! He's beautiful:)

5. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Oh! Then he isn't sick? I had a panic attack over nothing? :(
    Thank u Aqua

6. tokiodreamy

Did you add a prefilter sponge? A lot of fish do get caught on the intakes.

The tank is a little on the small side imo. It seems that each betta has about 2 gallons? What seems to be the common minimum is 2.5g but I personally suggest nothing under 3g and tell others to aim for 5g.
    Is the temp adjustable? If so, turn it up at least a degree. I think bettas like low 80's F (you're currently at 77F) but its been years since I kept one so someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.
    My last question is are these all male bettas? Are the dividers transparent? They may be stressed from being able to see eachother. It's healthy for bettas to flare up, however not on a constant basis. Plus even if they can't reach eachother they may attack the divider or the glass. Hence why one jumped over to attack the other. They're known to jump.

My suggestion, if possible, is either:
    - try to get them their own 3 gallons
    Or
    - if possible cut a solid blue or black backdrop and place between the barriers. If they're not separate containers then try to place a decoration or silk plant in front of the dividers.

Can you attach a photo so we can understand what the tank looks like?

7. Aquaphobia

Nope, I think he looks fine:) Some Bettas just change colour!

8. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

[​IMG]
    This is the tank in question and now it has blue plastic dividers
    to block the bettas from seeing each other. Like in this photo:
    [​IMG]
    Yes they have about 2 gallons of water in each cubical. Yes the temp is adjustable
    so i just turned it up. Yes all males in this tank, yes the dividers were transparent but i have now blocked their view of each other with blue plastic. I am almost at my wits end with this tank, i think its officially a waste of time and money and ive only had it a couple of weeks there about!

Phew, i hope thats all it is! :)

9. tokiodreamy

The pics are small so its hard to see details. That's great it's blue! Is that a cover on top? If not, maybe you can look into getting a lid or a glass sheet cut. Try looking at standard glass canopies to see if it fits the tank size.

Also, maybe add another silk plant? Something with large leaves for your bettas to lay on? If you want, you can try and get anubias nana plants for each. You can tie it to a suction cup or small rock and place it in your tank. It will help keep your parameters down and also give your bettas a natural couch to lay on! I absolutely love the one in my shrimp tank! Also its low light and slow growing. You can even use 1 drop of superglue. Just wait for it to dry (2-5min) before adding to the tank. Just make sure the super glue is 100% cyanocrylate.

I also suggest a small marimo moss ball. You can buy a big one and split it into 4 small ones. There's videos online showing this and in this forum.

I've had the worst luck this year with my tanks and I've been fish keeping for 6 years. I've never had so many diseases and issues... so keep trying and don't give up!

Also, i think the pigment in your betta is either fully developing or he's feeling less stressed so he's coloring up. I'd put him back in the main tank

10. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi Toki,
    Sorry for the late reply. Yes the tank has a glass lid already. Thank you for the suggestion to get new plants, im going to look into that next week, something with bigger leaves is a great idea. Id also love moss balls for them so thats on the list too. I did put Goldy back into the quad tank like you suggested before i went to bed. He is happy and eating fine so it must be a color change in him and not an illness or stress thank god. I think i just panicked, i haven't been keeping fish for long so thats probably why. Its great to have these forums for help like this :)

11. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Heh. Pretty Betta. Yeah, Betta do that sometimes, as well as other fish! I've heard stories of a black goldfish turning orange or a white and red goldfish turning white and black! These can result from the fish's genetics or its environment, water conditions, exposure to the sun. Nifty!

I think for future reference, some of the color changes that are bad would be redness on the gills (you can usually tell between just red color and irritated red gills) and I believe fin rot turns fins black as it rots the fin? That one is usually more obvious. I saw you mentioned that you thought he might have fungus! That will look like fuzziness growing on him usually white in color and is really easy to spot because it's fuzzy!

12. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi Cody!
    I just took these photos so you can see close up with the flash on what he looks like, i think it is a sudden color change in him and maybe not fin rot as i first thought:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

To save starting a new thread, i need help with one of my other tanks. I have a betta crown tail named Royal, he is in a 15L tank by himself, I have a small aqua one nano 10w pre set 25c heater in there. That small heater has been working fine and keeping the tank at 25c for the last week. But today the temp is 19c! It is winter here and a very cold day. I dont have any money to rush out and buy a bigger heater right now so my question is, is that to cold? Will he be ok to stay in his tank or should i put him in a breeder tub in with my female betta Rosy whos tank is at a steady 27c? I dont want to stress him unnecessarily or Rosy, so what would be the best option? I could also boil a kettle and add some hot water to some of his water in his tank maybe? Help :(

13. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

You could try placing a blanket or something over to trap in some heat during the night?

You can also get warm water and put it in a plastic bag and place it into the tank as an additional makeshift heater.

14. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

I just put a towel over his tank thanks Cody, to see if that brings the temp up. If not i will boil the kettle and add a water bag to it. He seems ok, not so happy now he is in darkness though. Are you sure i shouldn't pop him in one of my other tanks? I dont want anything to happen to him from being to cold.

15. Aquaphobia

Do you have a floating breeder net? Just in case he doesn't get along with the other fish.

If you do decide to move him, and I only would if the heater is a long time in coming, then be sure to acclimate him just as you would a new fish.

16. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi Aqua,
    Since my last post 5 hours ago, i boiled some water and added it to his tank with some cold water so it was luke warm and some prime. I put the towel back over the tank top, back and sides and the temp has held at 25c since then, so it worked.
    Yes i have a breeder plastic tub that suction cups to the side of the tank, so if i wake in the morning and the tank is cold again i will move him into my tropical tank with my gourami and company, acclimate him by adding some water of the tank to him in a small measuring cup. That should work hopefully :)

17. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

You might want to keep an eye on him with a gourami. Sometimes they can fight.

18. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Wildside
    Thank you, i was going to put the betta in the plastic breeding tub in the gourami's tank so no worries about them fighting, I just thought it would be less stressful for him in that tank than putting him in one of my female fighters tanks in the tub. If that makes sense..

19. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi again Toki,

Right now im feeling like a terrible human, i just caught my new betta Rosy sleeping on a tiny leaf of the plastic plant :(
    [​IMG]
    You were right, they need bigger leaves to sleep in! My mission next week is to
    get these guys some better plants. If i can find this thread when i get them, i'll post a few pics for you :)

20. tokiodreamy

Some bettas love to sleep on leaves and some prefer the bottom of the tank. For the 4 section tank I would see if you can find anubias nana or another wide leaf anubias plant. They're slow growing so you'll have more control in the smaller space. Just remember to get either a small rock, decoration, or suction cup to tie it to since anubias are ribsome plants and do best when not in the gravel.

[​IMG]
    This is the only photo I have of my anubias nana and it's quite an old photo so it's grown a little since then. The tank is at work or I'd take another one. The nana is at the bottom right.

If you're looking for your larger tanks you can get a couple anubias as well as maybe a wide leaf sword plant. My amazon swords have wider leafs. These plants like to be in the gravel, just don't burry their crowns. They also like root tabs (i use seachem florish tabs).

[​IMG]
    Old old old photo of my tank. The 2 amazon swords are in the back. The hornwort has pretty much blocked my view of the swords, so hence the old photo.

Also pick up some marimo moss balls. One in each section would be nice and maybe several for the larger tank. They'll help with water parameters and are super forgiving. I did a blackout on my tank once for 4 days and the mossball didn't even notice! They are SUPER slow growing and usually take about a year for you to notice any size difference. They can also be split to make smaller moss balls like mentioned earlier.

[​IMG]
    2 marimo moss balls. Sorry light are not on for this tank yet.

Your tropical tank would also love these plants. More low light plants you can buy for your tropical tank are: java fern (ribosome), all types of anubias (ribosome), java moss (grows on decor), other types of mosses (grows on decor), hornwort (floating or planted), frog bits (floating). I also believe banana plant, water wisteria, and water fern but I've never used them personally.

[​IMG]
    This is one of my anubias congeneris (spelling).

[​IMG]
    Java moss growing on fake wood decor. Lights not on for this tank yet.

[​IMG]
    Hornwort. Its my first time getting it and some floats some doesn't. Used a suction cup to hold the parts that don't float.

[​IMG]
    Java fern plants! They make lots of babies so it's easy to get a bunch!