Help!!

1. PythonTheBetta Member Member

Finally got the cycle started in the 2.5 but today the filter started making a loud noise So I put in more water, thinking maybe the water level was too low, but it's still making the noise. It's unplugged currently and I guess I have to return the tank... which would mean starting the cycle completely over I just made a new cover for it last night and was considering putting decorations in, glad I didn't! If it's not one thing it's another...

It's the National Geographic Half-moon Aqua Oasis, has anyone else had this tank and experienced this problem? And if I return the tank, should I try and keep the filter media? should I save the water? What tank do you all suggest?

2. BettaGirl22 Well Known Member Member

Hi!

Sorry to hear about your tank; that's always an annoyance when there are malfunctions. However, it might be for the best. IMO, that tank is far too small for a betta.

My go to small tank is the Aqueon Mini Bow. It comes in one gallon (too small!), two and a half gallons (smallest possible for betta but not ideal), and five gallons (much better). They are cheap and well sized for bettas, though I find the filter tends to be a little strong. I mend it by attaching a sponge to the flow to slow it down.

As for the cycle, if you just began, you might as well start over. But if you really want to continue with that progress, just transfer some filter media over to the new tank.

Best of luck! :)

3. Annie424 Well Known Member Member

Agree with BettaGirl22 - if you can get at least a 5G (10G is better) that's what I'd do. I'd keep the media from your current tank (place it in some conditioned water so it stays wet in the interim) and asap add it to your new set up if you can get it tonight - if you end up with a different filter just put it in between the inflow and the new filter for the time being. It will help cut down on your new cycle time.

4. PythonTheBetta Member Member

I made sure to get the 2.5 gallon Nat. Geo tank but I would like to go bigger, has to stay desktop size though. Won't be able to get the new tank for a while. It's technically a class pet, just mine for the summer, so the teacher buys everything. (But I see this teacher everyday) I've seen the 5 gallon Mini Bow but it seemed expensive. Would it be cheaper online maybe? Also, would saving the water from the current tank provide any benefits? I feel like that would be wasteful to throw out all the conditioned water since I've been dosing it with Stability and ammonia...