Help?

1. Arianah19 Initiate Member

Hey guys!

New to fishlore and first post in this forum. I've been keeping basic fish on and off for about 6 years (ish).

Heres my situation:

About 6 months ago, I figured I would try my hand at a planted tank with fancy goldfish. I have two orandas, a silverscale, and one mystery snail in my 45-50 gallon tank. I have
    Cryptocoryne, Anacharis, Hairgrass, Anubias Heterphylla, Java Fern and two moss balls that I've made smaller.

I'm running a fluval u4 (I put a mesh bag with carbon inside the media cage along with the ceramic things), air pump, and finnex planted 24/7 light.

In any of my smaller tanks that have one or two live plants in them, I have never had this problem. But recently, this brown stuff is everywhere! Covering the sides, the leaves of my plants, my filter, everything. It rubs off fairly easily when I scrub the sides or rub the leaves, but I'm not sure if it's algae or diatoms. Tank is cycled and water parameters are normal (at least for goldfish) 7.6(ish) ph, 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, 40ppm nitrate. (I'm doing a water change right after this post).

Any idea what this stuff is or what to do about it? It's driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance!!:)

Ariana

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

It looks like diatoms (brown algae) IMO

3. Arianah19 Initiate Member

Any way to get rid of them?

4. MinhMai Member Member

Paper towels and get your sleeves wet.

5. Arianah19 Initiate Member

Do they keep coming back or does it go away after a while?

6. MinhMai Member Member

Only turn your lights on for 6-7 hours a day and it might decrease the diatoms. Otherwise wiping it down yourself should be part of your regular tank maintenance.

7. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Over time, they will drastically decrease. Snails will keep it crystal clear (nerites and mysteries in particular)
    Diatoms are harmless, just not pretty to look at. Keep wiping them away and eventually they'll go away