Help!!

PetLover418

I have 3 Ottos. I have 2 that are super active and one that wasn't as active. Just looked today and saw the "lazy" one on the bottom of the tank, against a rock. It's practically all white except for the tail, its eye pupils are white, it's not moving, but not floating. Is it dead? Trying to sleep because I keep forgetting to turn off the lights? My tank is currently cycling. I've been checking it every day. All of the other fish are doing semi-well other than a possibe ich outbreak. Help!???

thepianoguy

welcome to fish lore!

what is the water parameter? and how many fish are in there? how big is the tank? do u have any live plants? can u get a picture ASAP please?

PetLover418

Approx 0.25 ammonia. 10-ish nitrate. 3-ish nitrite. 11/10 fish. 20 gallon high. No live plants other than algea. I'll try to get a picture.

PetLover418

20160319_111346.jpg I hope this goes through. The white thing next to the rock is it

PetLover418

My other picture from the front side will not go through.

thepianoguy

yes, the tank is little overstocked.

from your picture, the white thing is a fish, is it? what food do u feed them?

the tank is not cycled, and nitrite is way too high that it will cause some random death. please consider rehome some fish as a 20 high is not enough for that many fish to live together.

or upgrade the tank.

I can't see the picture well, it looks like a dead fish...

PetLover418

The ottos eat brown algae that grows on the glass. The bettas eat pellets and the tetras eat aqueon flakes.according to aqua advisor though, it says my tank is at most 84% stocked.

PetLover418

image.jpg I finally got the other to work

thepianoguy

okay.

what type of fish is in there?(PS the aqadvisor can ONLY give u a rough number, you will HAVE to search it up online for their own needs, firstly 20 fish is overstocked in the 20 gallon tank, UNLESS they are tetras. because they are small.)

often find aqadvisor is inaccurate and I only use that as an example, roughly.

and I really suggest that you should try omega one and those good quality foods, aqueon ones are not nutrient rich.

if u try to grab it(or catch it) it would not move, then it is dead...I am sorry.

PetLover418

Ok. Thanks for your help. 5 skirt tetras and 3 female bettas and (haven't tried catching thing yet) 3 ottos.

thepianoguy

so, 9 fish...in total lol campared to 11 fish...haha

do a water changes quick as possible, the nitrite is WAY too high.

Dovah

I can't see your pics but if the fish is white with clouded eyes it's more than likely dead.

Just for future reference, Oto cats are like Plecos in that they very much appreciate supplemental foods like cucumber, zucchini, algae wafers, etc.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

PetLover418

So, today my mom and I got the otto out of the tank. It is in fact dead. RIP Burnie. :'(

PetLover418

I have a zucchinI for them in the fridge that I can blanch. However, there is still tons of algae in the tank and they are eating it. The remaining 2 are very fat in their stomach areas.

Dovah

For future reference again, if you think a fish is dead, it's best to poke at it with something like a net handle (not too roughly of course) to see if it really is deceased. Leaving a dead fish in your tank for too long will result in decomposition which may end up increasing your ammonia, which would in turn be harmful to your other, healthier, tenants.

Sorry for your loss.

thepianoguy

So, today my mom and I got the otto out of the tank. It is in fact dead. RIP Burnie. :'(

sorry! RIP burnie...sip
I have a zucchinI for them in the fridge that I can blanch. However, there is still tons of algae in the tank and they are eating it. The remaining 2 are very fat in their stomach areas.

what ur water parameter now, please do a water change! as the dead fish is very dangerous and WILL add stressful ammonia/nitrite to your tank!

Dovah

I agree with thepianoguy, if your fish aren't starving then the next step would be investigating your water parameters.

thepianoguy

plus, you are cycling the tank right now. you NEED a water change plus testing every day to ensure the rest of the fish are safe.

ps: ottos are not hardy at all for dangerous cycling

PetLover418

I did a approx 30% water change shortly after. My nitrites are at 0. My nitrates are between 0 and 20. Burnie was the weaker one of the 3. I'm hopeful that the other two last a little while because their bellies are full and they are eating.

Dovah

What is your ammonia testing at? What are you using to test? When did you add the Oto cats?

PetLover418

Between 0 and 0.25 ppm. Nitrites and nitrates being tested by a testing strip. Ammonia being tested by liquid test. Added ottos about 3 weeks ago.

Dovah

I very much suggest that you invest in something like API's liquid master test kit. The strips are notoriously inaccurate and are more expensive in the long run.

So ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all testing between .25 ppm?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
Evergreen2

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom