Help!!!

1. Bigreddiscus Member Member

Hi, I hava a planted fish tank for about a year and a half. I have lots of tetras and most of them have died. :'( I also had a couple bottom feeders and hatchets that all died. I have two discus that look good though. I don't think that they ate them because they are bigger than there mouthes. My water conditions are 10pp nitrate no ammonia ph at 6.5 and water at 80F. HELP PLEASE!!!:(

2. k9z3boys Member Member

Are you wanting to know why they died?
    Do you know your nitrite level?
    How big is the tank?

3. Bigreddiscus Member Member

35 gallon tank. Yes i was wondering why they died. Hardly any nitrate don't know exactly what level

4. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

What was feeding time like? Were all of the tetras able to eat? Was there any sign of disease/parasites/fungus on the fish? No nitrates, but what about the other water parameters? Nirites, ammonia, ph, temp?

The tank may also have been too small for all of the stock. What size are this discus now?

5. k9z3boys Member Member

even In a perfect tank, right size, perfect water, etc, sometimes fish just die. its a sad part of fish keeping. we had a perfectly good platy get stuck under a plastic plant and drown.
    tetras are notoriously fragile

6. k9z3boys Member Member

he stated temp was 80 Ph 6.5 nitrate 10.

7. renthus Well Known Member Member

Not exactly relevant to your original question, but are you planning on upgrading in the future? 35 gallons is really small for discus.

8. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

While I agree with you that the worst can happen under the best of circumstances, this tank does not fit the current stock. I would also not consider all tetras to be fragile, in fact, a great many are some of the hardiest fish to be had in the hobby.

9. Bigreddiscus Member Member

I was going to go for at least a hundered gallon tank.