help

1. jpatt50 Member Member

My tanks finnaly up and running and im loving it. i have 2 angelfish and a pleco. its a 20 gal planted but its time to change the filter.... i think. its been a little over a month so im guessing its time to change it. but whats the best way my filter only has one slot for media so how to i go about switching them out do i just stick the new one in with the old for a day or so?

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Do not change the filter!! It is the same trap I fell into when I started up my first tanks. You think you are being a good fish keeper and then all of a sudden your fish start dying. When you replace the filter, you are taking all the good bacteria out of the aquarium. There is no reason to replace a filter unless it is falling apart. It it is absolutely filthy, rinse it in syphoned water from your tank, not tap water. You will cause a disaster by changing it. If you run both at the same time, it is going to take a long time for the new filter to colonize, and a few days would not do it.

What kind of a filter do you have, it just says power?:pokey:

3. fbn Well Known Member Member

Yeah, don't change the filter media. You are pretty much just wasting money. If the media is very filthy and restricting the water's flow, just rinse it in a bucket with aquarium water.