Help! Zebra Danio With Strange Red Spot

BitsNbobs

Reaction score
IMG_4688.JPG
IMG_4687 2.JPG
I noticed a red spot for the first time on one of my Zebra Danios today ; otherwise, it acts the same. I've had the Z. Danios in a planted, (20 gal. long), community tank with zero problems until today!
Should I quarantine it? I'm stressing already, as I don't know what to expect next.

Is there anyone with Danio experience who has ever had this problem please?

Thanks,
BB

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wish I could see! I can tell you the only time my danios ever had red spots was due to injury. Sometimes they run into things. They’re so fast! Hopefully a sighted person will check your danio out and be able to tell you for sure what it is. Keep us posted. And could you post your water parameters, if there’s been any changes in what you feed, anything you can think of to make figuring this guy out? Thanks.

OP
BitsNbobs

BitsNbobs

Reaction score
YES!!
In fact, they WERE in one of their mating frenzies today. It does look like a bad bruise to me too.
I will chk. and post the water stats tomorrow.
Thanks so much Gypsy13, you're a dear!

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BitsNbobs said:
YES!!
In fact, they WERE in one of their mating frenzies today. It does look like a bad bruise to me too.
I will chk. and post the water stats tomorrow.
Thanks so much Gypsy13, you're a dear!
You’re sweet. I’m just hoping for the best for your fishies. I know how nuts they can drive you. Let me know how it’s doing ok?

OP
BitsNbobs

BitsNbobs

Reaction score
Follow-up on my Z. Danio:
The redness is GONE, healed in less than 2 days!

Gypsy13 diagnosed the issue correctly...Apparently, the little guy/girl banged into one of the appendages of the, (plastic), driftwood in the center of the tank while swimming at the supersonic speed they swim at when they are laying and fertilizing eggs.

I didn't check the water stats, but all is back to normal now Whewww!

Now, I am shopping for real driftwood, and it's a little confusing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys!

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BitsNbobs said:
Follow-up on my Z. Danio:
The redness is GONE, healed in less than 2 days!

Gypsy13 diagnosed the issue correctly...Apparently, the little guy/girl banged into one of the appendages of the, (plastic), driftwood in the center of the tank while swimming at the supersonic speed they swim at when they are laying and fertilizing eggs.

I didn't check the water stats, but all is back to normal now Whewww!

Now, I am shopping for real driftwood, and it's a little confusing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys!
I would get the already soaked and cleaned forever and a day rather than do your own. But it is so beautiful. I love the branchy ones. Just try to buy from someone in the aquarium world. I don’t trust the ones sold on eBay. I think driftwood makes an amazing focal point and if it’s really branchy, the fish will be swimming all around and in and out! Have you checked out the member photos? Tons of Betta pics. Some really cool driftwood ideas too. Keep us posted. Would love to hear your setup when you get the driftwood!

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I forgot to say I’m glad your danio will be ok!

OP
BitsNbobs

BitsNbobs

Reaction score
I took the plastic (resin) driftwood piece out, yesterday, because--Guess what? Another Danio had a scratch on it!
It wasn't bloody this time, but it was definitely abt a 2 cm scratch!! Danios must be very hearty fish, because they mend so quickly
...Ok thx, I will look for a piece of wood that is pre-soaked Gypsy13. I know what you mean abt Ebay, I usually buy my supplies on Amazon and Drs. Smith &Foster anyway.
Bless, you're a dear/x

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BitsNbobs said:
I took the plastic (resin) driftwood piece out, yesterday, because--Guess what? Another Danio had a scratch on it!
It wasn't bloody this time, but it was definitely abt a 2 cm scratch!! Danios must be very hearty fish, because they mend so quickly
...Ok thx, I will look for a piece of wood that is pre-soaked Gypsy13. I know what you mean abt Ebay, I usually buy my supplies on Amazon and Drs. Smith &Foster anyway.
Bless, you're a dear/x
I love Drs Foster & Smith! I was planning on getting my 40L ready for my danios. Then my lfs guy called with a 75! My danios will be so very happy! And yes they do heal very quickly. And it’s no wonder they get hurt occasionally, my two are Zipper n Dash. I bought a piece of driftwood from him that looks like a dragons head! I’m so glad your guys are ok!

And I’m super glad I was able to help. Oh, I guess I should say pre-boiled on the driftwood. Drs Foster & Smith would have pre-cleaned I’m sure.
Danios are cool!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom