help wot is it

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by wane1680, Mar 29, 2010.

1. w

wane1680 New Member Member

hi all can any one help i have a tank it has shrimps which i belive are pregnant i clean my tank yesterday fully and it was fine i woke up this morning and inside the breeding hatch i have some fry but stuck to the inside of the breeding tank is like clear jelly with lots of air bubbles in it may be eggs any idesa wot this could be eggs would be surpriseing cause there noting in the breeding hatch other than a few live plants peices anf mollie and guppy fry any help would be great

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning Wane,

Hopefully one of the members will be able to help you out before too long.

Please use punctuation, sentencing, and paragraphs in your posts. When your text isn't phrased properly it becomes very difficult for some members to read and the post may be ignored. Too, it's proper forum etiquette:

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/jan08/forum-etiquette.htm
    "Grammatical skills are extremely important when it comes to online forums. If your message is not easy to understand it will inevitably either be misunderstood or not read at all. If your primary language is not that of the forum you are a member of just do your best and let it be known that the language is not your primary language. If it is the same language as your primary then follow the rules of the language and do not treat the forum as a text message on a cell phone, it is rude and immature. "

I want you to receive all the information that you possibly can concerning your tank, fish, critters and your situation.

:animal0068:I have moved your thread to the Freshwater Invertebrates/Shrimps and Crabs section of the forum to help you to receive more responses.

Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  3. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I have never raised shrimp but I am sure they are like most other species on here. How long has your tank been set up and is it cycled? Also you said you cleaned your tank. Did you clean the filter to? If so how did you clean the tank and the filter?

4. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

That is snail eggs... more specifically (I think) ramshorn eggs... You want to remove them or you will have 5 million of those things running around!.... goodluck!

Oh and Welcome to fish lore!!!

5. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Actually, I would leave the snail eggs in the tank...the eggs are actually pond snail eggs. Especially in a shrimp tank, small snails such as pond snails and Malaysian trumpet snails are very beneficial: small enough not to push the shrimp around, hoowever, excellent scavengers.

I would like to politely disagree with Ilikefish that there will not be 5 million of them - the population should stay in beneficial numbers. Stories of MTS and pond snails overrunning an aquarium are only from fishkeepers who overfeed their fish. If you feed too much, this equates to more food for the snails, then their population explodes.

Here is a very descriptive site on the care and breeding of pond snails:

6. i

My shrimp tank is heavily planted so i don't add ANY food... and my tank is being overun... : ( It's not my fault promiseee... so im not so sure about your overfeeding theory : / but I must say in my non planted tank with guppies there are snails but they are definitely not overrunning the tank... I guess Its the plants that are feeding them some how?

7. Elodea

Pond snails rarely eat plants, but they could be eating dead shrimp and algae in the tank.

8. i

there are NEVER dead shrimp : ) (keeping my fingers crossed) but there are the sheddings... could they eat that? also there is some key word some algae but so minimal that i don't ever clean it... but I guess there's probably micro algae or something...

9. angelfish220

angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

I have also experienced the snail invasion... with no wrong on my part. The best I can tell you is to squash them if you see them.

10. Elodea

Aww, why squash them? I love these invasive snails (MTS especially), as they are small enough to eat rotting organic matter that would otherwise form "toxic pockets" of ammonia in the gravel.

11. i

I believe he may not be able to speak english 100%... If this is the case then props to him. just saying... if I couldn't speak english I would still post giving it my best...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice