Help Worried For My Betta!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Andresdeleon, Jun 25, 2019.

1. AndresdeleonNew MemberMember

Good afternoon everyone. I just got a Betta fish 3 days ago. But he’s showing some strange movements like twitching or something. I don’t know if that’s normal or not? And also It looks like he’s gasping for air. There’s a link for a video showing his movements.
    My water perimeters are:
    0 ppm ammonia
    0 ppm nitrite
    5.0 ppm nitrate
    I have a fluval Aqua clear filter
    5 g tank and the temperature is between 76 and 78 F

2. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

I'm not seeing anything wrong. It just looks like he's swimming fast, a zippy betta. You might also want to cover that intake filter as it can suck up and shred his fins.

3. NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

Looks like normal swimming for a vailtail betta. And all bettas go to the surface to breath air, they have a special organ called a labyrinth organ that allows this.

4. AlpineTheBettaValued MemberMember

Looks like a healthy betta to me! My most active one would zip around even faster than yours. Breathing air from the surface is normal ( as long as he is not there at the surface breathing hard all the time), as explained by others who chimed in earlier.

Beautiful little fish!

Also as suggested to you earlier, covering the filter intake is a good idea. Dealing with injury is a pain and prevention is best. Also see if you might want to take the log out and sand it smooth so it does not snag him or his fins.

5. AndresdeleonNew MemberMember

Alright, thanks! I just was a little worried

6. JDK426Valued MemberMember

Nothing wrong with him at all. Betta are such a hardy fish they are actually hard to kill even if you forget to feed them for days upon days at a time. He looks perfectly fine. Raising bettas I have found they thrive better and look healthier in color and all with some added aquarium salt. I use the API Aquarium salt, and mix it to their suggestion I think 2 teaspoons per 5 gallons. Also another good thing for Betta or any other fish is IAL (Indian Almond Leaves) this will turn your water tannish like a watered down tea, but its very healthy for your fish.

Just a few suggestions you may look into in the future. But for this fish there is nothing wrong with him!

7. NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

Please dont add salt and leaves and stuff willy nilly.
    Making the ph bounce is a good way to kill fish.
    Adding too much, with no hydrometer to test the tank, is bad as well.

they only thing you need to be adding to the water is Seachums prime, an eye dropper to mesure 2 drops per gallon can help.

8. AndresdeleonNew MemberMember

Thanks everyone. I have another question. This Betta is a Veiltail or Delta?

9. AlpineTheBettaValued MemberMember

Sorry , beg to differ here.

In my experience almond leaf will not necessarily bounce PH. Unless your water is ridiculously low in KH. Would be good if you could get a KH test kit. If your water is 3 dkh and above PH wont bounce. I have had almond leaf in mine and my water is 3dkh and it works great,

Salt - bettas do fine without aquarium salt. Breeders ( in their native country, Thailand, and also here in the US. I have spoken to at least 3 breeders )use salt. I would say 1 tbsp per 5 gallon is safe, however I reserve salt for when it is needed ( to help alleviate shock and help with osmoregulation after the injury and as mild antiseptic). Note that breeders tend to do 100% water change because their bettas live in jars, therefore there is very little risk of salt building up due to evoration and overdosing salt.

I also talked to two aquatic vets about salt and have had 1tsp -2 tsp a gallon recommended, but note that this is for sick or injured fish only and it is added very slowly, over a day or two, the rate I add is 0.5 tsp per gallon increase per day. I have never had a betta die at 2tsp per gallon salt, but I would keep them at that high a concentration for 3 weeks maximum, and only if they need it.

You just need to make sure you don't over salt, so only add salt with water change ( example if you do 1 teaspoon per gallon, then when you do water change you take a gallon out of your tank, when you refill your tank you would put 1 tsp salt into that one gallon you add back. If you ever top off your tank due to evaporation, do not top off with salt water.

It is a good idea to get a hydrometer to be safe. However since I only use salt in hospital tank short term I have not gotten around to getting one yet.

So in my opinion you should
    1 get API KH, GH test kit. Test your KH prior to adding almond leaf.
    2. No salt unless he is sick. ( and note it is more of a mild antiseptic and osmoregulation aid, NOT a cure all , NOT for serious problems)If you decide to use it, half a teaspoon per gallon or even less only for long term use.
    3 salt with almond leaf is fine. As a matter of fact I have one betta now that is recovering after a course of antibiotics. His hospital tank has 0.5 tsp per gallon salt and almond leaf , and he is fine. So you can mix it.
    4 personally I never had good results with prime for detoxing ammonia. I get it that it does not show in water test result, but judging from the symptoms of delicate fish such as cory cat while doing fish in cycling, it just does not help. My water has no chlorine or chloramine so I do not have to dechlorinate to start with. Therefore I dont use it. My philosophy is no chemical unless needed. If water does not need conditioning and fish are not sick, they are fine on their own as long as you keep your water clean and the parameters are appropriate ( stable temp, kh high enough to prevence ph bounce, gh high enough to provide minerals and species appropriate, 0 ammonia 0 nitrite less than 15 nitrate ( bettas with long tail can start getting fin rot at 20 ppm nitrate and above), good aeration, almond leaf.

Yours is a delta.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  10. AndresdeleonNew MemberMember

Thank you for the information. It’s good to know that.
    Hours before I got my Betta. I put API salt at my aquarium just in case he was sick. And about the almond leave, I didn’t know about that and I have one at the aquarium. But I’ll buy a KH and GH to test my water. Thanks

11. AlpineTheBettaValued MemberMember

A little Salt after your betta just got home and may be slightly stressed is not a bad thing. How much did you put in?

Saw that you cycled the aquarium prior to putting him in there. You seem vey thoughtful and seem to be taking good care of your new friend. I am positive he will be just fine. :)