Help! Worms?

AlyssaGal

Reaction score
So today, just after adding five Pygmy Corys to my tank after quarantine I found these living in my substrate. After a lot of googling I think I also have hydras in my tank? Little green things?
Still not sure what these are and what will be the best course of action to rid my tank of all gross creepy crawlies.
Looking for any and all info and tips as I’m feeling like a horrible fish keeper.
It’s a 45 gallon with 7 Pygmy Corys, 3 mystery snails, and 1 nerite snail

Attachments

Mhamilton0911

Reaction score
Possibly planaria, or maybe snail leech? Can you see a head, or mouth parts? About how big it is?

Mhamilton0911

Reaction score
Planaria has a triangle shaped head, and I don't really see that. So maybe leaning towards a snail leech, how long have you had your snails? Have you seen any leeches attached to them?

Creepy I know, but must be dealt with :yuck:

OP
AlyssaGal

AlyssaGal

Reaction score
Haven’t seen any leeches attached to them. I’ve had the nerite snail for about two years now and the mystery snails for a month. The mystery snails have been growing like crazy and I haven’t seen anything on them. My nerite snail is nocturnal so he’s a hard one to check on, but I Haven’t seen anything.
Any idea on how to get rid of them? Or to make sure they’re gone. I think I’m going to have to treat the tank with panacur to get rid of the hydra stuff so I’ll have to take my snails out for that. Not sure if that’s the best course of action so if anyone has any other ideas I’m willing to try. I leave for vaca in a few days so I’ll have to wait to treat for a week always happens at the most convenient times.

OP
AlyssaGal

AlyssaGal

Reaction score
Pridedcloth3 said:
Found this in another forum
Oh jeez. That does not sound like fun at all. Literally just finished setting it up how I like and started to get fish. Ughhhh.
Well even if it’s not news I want to hear you guys have been super helpful! Thanks

Pridedcloth3

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AlyssaGal said:
Oh jeez. That does not sound like fun at all. Literally just finished setting it up how I like and started to get fish. Ughhhh.
Well even if it’s not news I want to hear you guys have been super helpful! Thanks
It's never fun when something goes wrong. I'd just relocated the snails to another tank or container with the same tank water then bombard the leeches. After your trip water change and send your snails home.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom