Help With Zoo Med Repti-therm Undertank Heater

Aqua 59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello everyone, I am getting a new Zoo med repti-therm undertank heater for my hermit crabs, was wondering since:
I heard it adheres permanently to the terrarium bottom. How does it attach to the glass, and will it burn the wood table that I have the terrarium on top of?
Thank you!

YellowFish13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Lol I always put them on the side of the glass. Never trusted them to be under it. Herman (my hermit crab) loves it.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree with above, unlike the conventional reptile setup, hermit crabs tend to have deep substrate which makes it pointless in placing it underneath the tank, since you want to heat the air. Underneath the tank will just heat the substrate.

Buganjimo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Agree with everyone above, putting the mat underneath will end up cracking the glass and not heating anything. It’s suggested to put a heating mat covering the length of the back of the tank for hermit crabs.

katrina._123

Reaction score
Hey I actually have a question about my hermit crabs. So I have a little bit more than 6 inches of substrate for my hermit crabs. They were both in the same cage, but one kept going in and out of all the shells in my tank, he eventually went back into his original one, this was a bummer cause he seems waayyyy to big for his current shell, I mean I got him like 2-3 years ago from a NC shop and it was horrible conditions, his shells was painted and he had eaten away at the paint because it bothered him, and in addition one of his legs had fallen off from stress, anyway the leg did grow back and eventually I got him a friend so he wasn’t lonely, anyway he’s still in the same shell since then. I was excited he was going to mold. So he dug himself up, but then my other crab kept digging around the cage and I was worried that he was going to dig up my other one so I put him in another temporary small tank. He stopped digging but idk his legs are kinda faded not the normal reddish orange color. So I thought maybe I should just move him back? So I thought my other crab had dug himself way deep but after I moved the little climbing thing in the tank he was right under it! He wasn’t falling out of his shell or anything, he was just all brown from the substrate and he like came of the shell and started moving around a little in his hole he’d made. He had been under there for about a week or two so I’m not sure if he’s finished or I disturbed him now, or if he was idk stuck under there. Now he’s out and about again walking around. I’m really worried about both my crabs what am I supposed to do?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom