HELP WITH WOOD NEEDED !!!

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember when I first put some bogwood in my tank the instructions were in chinese so I didnt know to rinse it first and the tank went really wierdly coloured! It actually looked quite cool with a blue light - quite surreal but went back to normal after a few water changes. I think it adds character and somewhere for the fish to hide, and its a nice natural feature too!
Regarding plants - I have live plants in all my tanks and dont use any additives or lighting ot sustain them and they seem ok. Some plants survive better than others - I presume thats according to the water and temperature and the types that the fish and snails prefer to eat?! In the platy tank everything has grown wildly crazy so I guess they dont eat much vegetation whereas my goldfsih rip all the plants to shreds! And nothing grows very well in the biorb due to the ceramic media not providing enough of a stable grip for the roots ???

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have wood in most of my tanks and some of it I found. It definately needs to be boiled several times and the duration of boiling time depends on the thickness of the piece. You want to make sure it gets hot through and through. I usually soak mine over night after I boil it and repeat this process 3 or 4 times.. After soaking it needs to be scrubbed with a stiff brush to make sure all mud, insect eggs, loose bark or other debris is off the wood.These things will pollute your tank.
As for your angels they will love the wood too. Mine pick at my drift wood and swim around it all day.
carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you Miss Mouse and Butterfly I hope my angels love the wood. I will put some in my tank soon. One question though, what is the difference between bogwood and driftwood? Are they the same kinds of wood, only named differently? I am sorry if this question is really silly, but I've never had any wood in my tank and I am inexperienced in these matters. I have seen what was named "driftwood" in my pet store, but never saw anything named bogwood.

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think bogwood is more of a root from a boggy tree and I think its generally darker. Driftwood is the ligh colored stuff you see lying on the beach ... I think anyway!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
All right, thanks

tootie

Reaction score
Hello there Isabella.My name is tootie and i am feally new to this site.There are some amazing experts on this site we are so lucky to have this sort of help.I identifie with all you have said as im looking to put wood for the first time into my tank i have a 40gallon tank and feel it is a risk to put any forien objects into my tank althought there are afew exceptions to this rule.One being trial and errar which im still doing myself.My plants are struggling to survive and i spoke to a petshop and decided to try out there product to feed my live plants as there was no nutrition getting to my plants and my lighting is still not right,so since using the plant fertiliser only 6weeks ago my plants have picked up thay have stopped dieing and seem to be growing ive added more stones to the roots to get them more established which also has helped.Im using (Flourish) and it doesent affect the fish in any way it just feeds the plants.I brought driftwood which have grafted lillies onto them thay look amazing and thay have real white flowers blooming and new leaves growing it just becomes expensive tis all.Id love to know how you get on boiling and scrubbing the wood is the best way to go ive been told.I am going to avoid the driftwood taken from the ocean and leave that to the experts.Buy for now tootie.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads