Help with white growth (not ich) on cory fins

yaya16

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 200 Liters
How long has the tank been running? 3 months
Does it have a filter? sponge + air stone
Does it have a heater? no (temp is controlled with AC)
What is the water temperature? (23-26 c)
What is the entire stocking of this tank? - 16 bronze Corydoras, nothing else

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a week at least
How much of the water do you change? 40%
What do you use to treat your water? nothing (water is desalinated and sits for at least a day in a dedicated tank with airstones)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? no substrate, aquarium floor is clean

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? I cycled with fish (3-6 corys in the tank then added more)
What do you use to test the water? API and JBL kits
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 8.2 !

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? not measured, feed is finished withing a minute
What brand of food do you feed your fish? commercial plus bloodworms (once a day)
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? yes bloodworms once a day

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? this is not one but several of the fish, I have had them for 3 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? about two months ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? the growth is rather large white usually round but sometimes goes along the fin appearing on the caudal or dorsal fins mostly. Some of the fins are damaged too (secondary fin rot?)
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I recently tried to treat with directly applying methylene blue to the infected areas, possibly there is some if not major improvement.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? not really changed, feeding and active as far as I see

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) This has started with one fish and is spreading to more of the fish and to some of my other tanks. Would really appreciate help as it seems it is only getting worse and I could lose my fish. Thanks

Attachments

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Personally I think this has to do with the fact Corys don't do well in tanks without substrate.

They benefit of a balance in good and bad bacterial life in substrate. Especially the good ones (nitrification ones but also all kind of other keeping bottomdwellers healthy) lack. They encounter the slightest traces of ammonia and nitrites which damage the fins allowing bacteria to take their chance. Clean isn't.always as clean as one thinks.

I'd use a good antibacterial med and seriously think about adding some sand.
They'll definitely benefit. Also think about variation in food (though their.overall health seems great (besides the issue).

OP
Y

yaya16

Thanks for that. I did consider adding sand as I know this is the best thing for them but the sand in our area is very salty so I wanted to avoid any risks of trace salts remaining in the substrate. Can you recommend a med brand or brands? Thank you

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
yaya16 said:
Thanks for that. I did consider adding sand as I know this is the best thing for them but the sand in our area is very salty so I wanted to avoid any risks of trace salts remaining in the substrate. Can you recommend a med brand or brands? Thank you
Pool Filter Sand is cheap clean and super.
Living in Europe so please don't ask for brands (Quickrete ?????)

OP
Y

yaya16

Thanks. Sorry I meant brand of medication :), I live in Israel so probably can get what you have there. Cheers

New Threads