Help with white fuzzy & green hair algae

Alwaysbina

Im cycling my 20 gallon I have so anachris and duckweed and on my substrate and fish food I put in I have whit fuzzy algae and I also have green hair algae should I be worried and how can I get rid of it without messing up the cycle

Flyfisha

Hi Alwaysbina,
The hair algae you can remove with your fingers as much as possible. Removing a little each day until the tank is cycled.A toothbrush is a tool recommended for spinning hair algae like spaghetti. Later if it’s still active when the tank is cycled you may choose to use a chemical fix.
The white on the food is not algae it’s just mould. As you have no fish in the tank it’s OK to let it be.

Betta'sAnonymous

Flyfisha said:
Hi Alwaysbina,
The hair algae you can remove with your fingers as much as possible. Removing a little each day until the tank is cycled.A toothbrush is a tool recommended for spinning hair algae like spaghetti. Later if it’s still active when the tank is cycled you may choose to use a chemical fix.
The white on the food is not algae it’s just mould. As you have no fish in the tank it’s OK to let it be.
Which leads me to wonder, does the mold release anything that might help the cycle?

Alwaysbina

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Which leads me to wonder, does the mold release anything that might help the cycle?
Well now that I think about it is the fish food getting mold and like decaying and releasing amonia

Top Bottom