Help With Water Conditioner And Nitrifying Bacteria

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by CUZ, Jul 23, 2019.

1. CUZ

CUZNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    ACBF7CF4-F2B5-420D-8771-55D704BDD185.9009FB81-C5F3-4DD3-8B1A-A1E2378DBCCB. i added natural rapport water conditioner all in one, today levels where ammonia 0.25ppm nitrites 0.20ppm and nitrates 5ppm. The thing is i added nitrifying bacteria with a 40% water change because of the harmfull levels, but the water conditioner says is REMOVES(not detoxify) ammonia and nitrites, and it is true, levels were at 0ppm 15 minutes later, so wouldn't this water conditioner starve beneficial bacteria? I added the beneficial bacteria in powder but since there's no more ammonia what will they eat? I want to try next time only with the beneficial bacteria and a normal water conditioner. Opinions?
    Tank is a 10 gallon with a canister filter of 100gallon per hour

2. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,699
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Personally I would not use a product that claims to actually remove ammonia or one that claims to buffer PH. Normally all one need to add to tank water is a product that removes chlorine and/or chloramines.

I am just assuming that you are doing a fishless cycle. Please correct me if I am wrong. If so you don't want a product that locks up or removes the ammonia because, yes, it will starve the bacteria.