Help with water chemistry

michaelsf90

So I have two tanks in the house. A small 25L shrimp only tank and a 125L main tank. The small tank is red cherry shrimp only. The main tank is several danios, Cory's, rabbit snails and nerite snails

The water from the tap is gh of around 1, kh 1, and varies between 6.6 and 6.8. I have crushed coral in the filter of the main tank to buffer the ph as it dropped very low at one point due to no hardness. I keep the ph stable at 7.2. Same in the shrimp tank. However after having a shrimp death i realised the importance of gh so I got seachem equilibrium and raised the gh to 6 in the shrimp tank and 5 in the main. Drip acclimatised as well. But a week later I've noticed the ph is shooting up. It was 8.2 in the shrimp tank and 7.8 in the main. All I have added is equilibrium. Can I raise gh without it affecting the ph as I now feel totally stuck

jtjgg

what is the KH in the tanks?

usually its the KH that raises pH.

richiep

If you use Salty shrimp GH+ then your ph will not be affected
I wouldn't advise using along side Equilibrium

michaelsf90

I can 100% tell you that equilibrium must be raising the ph. Well the general hardness being higher has raised it. A cory is dying in my main tank and I'm putting it down to the ph raising to 7.8 as Cory's are low ph fish. I'm finding it very difficult finding a balance. If I raise the gh to 6 to add it to the shrimp tank the ph raises to 8.2

richiep

Equilibrium will not have any affect on KH or PH
Cories are fine up to ph 8 I have a thriving colony of cory in 7.8ph

michaelsf90

I can honestly say since using equilibrium my ph has increased dramatically. My gh is testing at 6 in the shrimp tank and 5 in the main. Kh is 2 in both tanks. Ph is 8.2 in the shrimp and 7.8 in the main. I have crushed coral in both. Do I need to remove the crushed coral now I'm using equilibrium?

richiep

Your ph is fine but gh6 in a cherry tank is bad and they will have moult issues it should be around gh7 as a safe zone

michaelsf90

Ph of 8.2 is ok for cherry shrimp?

richiep

They will survive in that but if you can get it down to8 or even just below is better
Cherry shrimp will adapt if done slowly but the secret is keeping your water stable don't mess with the chemistry to much when you've got it stable this is what kills them
Aim for GH6 to10 PH 7 TO 8 KH 3 TO8 and you'll be good
Sudden high or low drops in ph will kill
GH below 5 will cause moult issues and kill
Do changes slowly and over a week or two
Yo need to check your source water before changes and mix accordingly, this is where you may be getting your swings from, tap water is never constant and can cause problems if left unchecked

michaelsf90

I cannot get kh above 2 without the ph going drastically high. It's very frustrating
My plan is to use acid and alkaline buffer. My kh is 1 which I'm guessing is causing ph swings. If I use alkaline buffer to raise kh then acid buffer to lower ph. Would that work. I also have crushed coral in the filter which I replenished in the week but doesnt seem to be raising the kh. If I'm using the buffers would I need to take the crushed coral out? Also would I get away with once a week water changes and adding the buffers to the fresh water added? Would that keep it stable?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sapper14
  • Question
Replies
Views
LowConductivity
Replies
Views
michaelsf90
Replies