Help with vallisneria spiralis.

Stone73
Hello,

about 16 months ago I bought 15 vallisneria spiralis. Shortly after I got them I replaced the substrate with 60 lbs. of CaribSea Eco Complete. I also started using Seachem Flourish root tabs, and started dosing about twice a week with Seachem Flourish (liquid).

Notice my lighting in my aquarium description <------

For awhile, the plants were doing good, but I developed a horrible algae problem, and I stopped dosing with the liquid Flourish. Over the next year or so, the plants started to slowly die off. I moved the remaining plants to the corner of the tank a few months ago, and within the last few weeks I started dosing the liquid Flourish twice every week, and I added more Seachem Flourish root tabs.

Is there anything more I can do to help my plants to excel?
At some point soon, I want to add more plants.

Also what can I do to help my Marimo grow.

Also, I read in another post that running an air stone during the day will kill off the co2 that the fish are creating. I run 2 2' air stones, as well as an air line powered sponge filter. If I don't run the air pump, there is no surface agitation at all, the water is completely still.

Below is a picture of when I first got my plants, and a more recent picture of the remaining plants. Notice the discoloration on the plants.

Attachments

• IMG_1362.jpg
    IMG_1362.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_1369.JPG
    IMG_1369.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 424
  • DSC00156.jpg
    DSC00156.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 463
  • DSC00157.JPG
    DSC00157.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 447
Eienna
The Seachem Flourish Excel (as opposed to simple Flourish) should kill off the algae for you if you get it.
I do not believe that an air stone removes much CO2. I'm sure it does some, but not enough to kill your plants. The Excel is said to give your plants what they would be getting if you were dosing CO2, as well, so it might be worth a good try.

Borderlesscott
Don't use excel on Vals - I've just had to replace mine 3 weeks ago after not heeding warnings about it, it melts Vals! If they are not to far gone they may come back, but mine where destroyed within days!

Butterfly
Excel will cause Vals to melt in many cases
Carol

pirahnah3
Excel is a carbon supplement that if overdosed can cause problems in a few plants.

I have had great luck with my Vals as long as I have some good lighting and a root tab right near by. I do tend to over fertilize my tanks a bit and deal with the algae via nerites or amano shrimp.

That said, your lights are a shade on the low side for Vals to really be happy. You could use a supplemental light in that area of the tank or allow sunlight to get to it. Also how long has it been since you last replaced the bulb in that fixture?

Algae and planted tanks is always a battle of sorts. Some people very carefully balance nutrient dosing as to keep a fine edge of no algae and happy plants. Others (like myself) chose to overdose a bit and deal with the algae as we have to. Either method has its pros and cons its up to you which one you choose.

AlyeskaGirl
I agree, the lighting is a bit on the low side for them to do well. I'd increase the lighting to around medium personally.

My Jungle Vals are thriving with medium/highlight.

Excel you can start with half dose.

Planted tanks with injected CO2 are not supposed to run airstones. Also airstones do not interfere with Excel.

pirahnah3
Alyeska, if I remember correctly and I could be wrong here, injected co2 usually runs for 8-10 hours during part of the day, when the co2 is on the air is off, when the co2 is off, the air is on. At least that is how I always understood it to work.

Stone73
Adding new Light, Plants

I don't have co2, and I don't really want to deal with it if possible.

I have had the same bulb that came with the tank for about 2 or 3 years.

Upgrading the lighting is a possibility. I plan on getting a new all glass hood to my aquarium, and adding a new light fixture to it. I don't really know what kind of plants I should add to the aquarium, but I am a beginner with plants.

That being said, what kind of lighting should I get?

pirahnah3
I would go with a T5HO fixture and just be done with the lighting issues. You don't have to run co2 at all, I grow a lot of plants and currently do not use any carbon supplements. I have been thinking about it but that's a different topic. As for plants I would start looking around and see what you like and what its requirements are for fertilization and light and then go from there.

AlyeskaGirl
Alyeska, if I remember correctly and I could be wrong here, injected co2 usually runs for 8-10 hours during part of the day, when the co2 is on the air is off, when the co2 is off, the air is on. At least that is how I always understood it to work.

Yeah, something like that. I don't use an airstone, just slight ripples from the spraybar. No noisy air pump!

Stone73
I would go with a T5HO fixture and just be done with the lighting issues.

Fluorescent or LED?

AlyeskaGirl
Fluorescent or LED?

Fluorescent.

T5HO (high output) you can pretty much grow anything. They are a stronger light then standard fluorescent bulbs.

The thing is if you put a duel T5HO fixture on your tank this will put you in the highlight category-fertlizers and CO2 then will be required or you'll grow algae instead of your plants. No more then a 8 hour photo period.

Eienna
Don't use excel on Vals - I've just had to replace mine 3 weeks ago after not heeding warnings about it, it melts Vals! If they are not to far gone they may come back, but mine where destroyed within days!

Excel will cause Vals to melt in many cases
Carol

Oh, yikes! Thanks for catching that, guys! O.O

Stone73
So I was looking at this fixture on amazon it's a t5 HO double light hood that uses 2 22" bulbs.

Which bulbs should I get? I saw the suggestions were a Trichromatic Super Daylight Bulb, and a Flora Sun Plant Bulb. I know nothing about lighting or the strengths of light, but I don't think that my fish (Cardinal Tetras, and BN Pleco, coming soon panda cory cats, and an angel fish) prefer higher lighting.

ps. I want to have a system where one light comes on earlier and stays on later to simulate dusk/dawn.

Eienna
My plants seem very happy with my Zoo med Trichromatic like you mentioned, and it doesn't have any weird color tints to it. Even the supposedly-snail-rate-growth-Anubias is looking great.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
Aquatilibus
Replies
Views
WinterSoldier.
Replies
Views