Help With Tank Health

HeyU

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Unfortunately this 55g tank was beautiful until we had a sudden purge happen to this tank.

History,
Housed two amazing Reed Fish since September. Tank mates included 3 reticulated hillstream loaches, two small bristlenose plecos, one rainbow shark approximately 3.5 - 4inches, 5 serpea tetras, geophagas jurupare and 1lg BLK convict. All was fine up until April 14th. (They have a 75g tank for when I finish moving. From East coast to Midwest.)

The geophagas exploded with ich. Nothing noticed the night prior. Morning though was covered head to fin tips. That fish was a champ wasn't the first to go. Then in similar manner every one in the tank was affected the day after.

(Note I battled ich in Jan same tank, no loses, exept meds chlorinated the water and I believe that's what killed my bacteria because I was on a daily water change for almost 2 weeks trying to get parameters back to normal)

Immediately I started the ick treatment and turn the temp up in the tank. (Different medication without chlorine because I was going out of town soon)
After 24 hours of ich medication, fungus or mold exploded in the tank on almost all the fish. Being new at fishkeeping but successfully been able to run three tanks of various sizes I thought I may have misinterpreted what was going on in my tank and stopped medication and in a two-day process turn the temp down added carbon to remove meds. (Although later I noticed both meds used same ingredients) Changed to a fungus treatment.
By this time in the Dilemma I had lost 50% of my fish suddenly every morning. So fast, so sad. Felt so bad.
So I set up my old 20g hex took the old whisper ex 30, a heater. Filled it with my 55g tank water. Continued fungus treatment in there with remaining fish, which all died within 48hrs except for the black convict cichlid.
I emptied the 55 gallon tank I threw away all the sand cleaned all the displays and put the living plants floating in the hospital tank. Cleaned and rinsed and used nothing hazardous.
I refilled 55 gallon tank sprinkled a little bit of sand on the bottom you can still see the glass turned on the heater and turn the filter on. Poured aquasafe concentrated bacteria in filter, Put in a couple guppies and zebra danios from other tank...
Left town for a week (trusty brother took care of fish)

I arrive back. Guppies and danios fine! Put them back. Hospital tank cichlid is fine. I tested the 55 gallon tank parameters seems normal and I added all my fish from a 20g tank I have had since October. Couple days later I added the black convict cichlid back to the 55 gallon tank with the rest of the fish.
Everything has been fine since.
Until I saw my common pleco with this (in pictures). Looks like ich. But it just appeared today. Looked fine yesterday. I'm worried the purge has started all over.

I use city tap water. I condition it before every water change. Temp same as tank.
Weekly water changes on all my tanks.
Currently out of test strips (don't say it I know, but they get the job done) and low funds ATM. Within the week though

Am I looking at ich? Like I said it showed up just like the plague did last month. When I had a ick in January it was really just a sand spec on the tales of the Serpa tetras like not explosive with everywhere all over the body.

Thank you for any pointers

Attachments

ljg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am sorry for the loss of your fish. Also, for the tank, did you allow the tank to go through the cycle?

HeyU

Reaction score
HeyU said:
I emptied the 55 gallon tank I threw away all the cleaned all the displays and put the living plants floating in the hospital tank. Cleaned and rinsed and used nothing hazardous.
I refilled 55 gallon tank sprinkled a little bit of sand on the bottom you can still see the glass turned on the heater and turn the filter on. Poured concentrated bacteria in filter, Put in a couple guppies and zebra danios from other tank...
Left town for a week (trusty brother took care of fish)

I arrive back. Guppies and danios fine! Put them back. Hospital tank cichlid is fine. I tested the 55 gallon tank parameters seems normal
Two weeks. Quoted my cycling of tank in a nutshell above.

I was Gone slightly over a week and waited a couple days while monitor in the water parameters.

I took pictures earlier when I first posted.

I think I know what it was. The sand from the tank floor. Ich wouldn't disappear in a few hours like that haha.

I might be scared/paranoid due to recent tragic events previously mentioned.

He's rather active. I did notice a large fin damage in first photos. Keep an eye on that.

Attachments

ColmC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry about the loss.

Hopefully it’s sand, if you get ich this time, use heat for 2 weeks to kill it off

Is the convict still going?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom