Help with tank cycling!

karilf

Hi! need some cycling help! readings.. .25 ammonia 2-5 ppm nitrite it’s hard to tell which one it is but most likely 5! and nitrate 40-80ppm again these colors are so close if anything in the middle of those 2! but here’s where it got stuck .. ammonia has been processing down to zero and I stopped adding it because nitrites spiked and would not move at all give them time to catch up i stopped dosing for about 3 days nitrite finally dropped and was dropping quick to about .50 i added ammonia to only 1ppm 24 hours ago it did not process and it’s at the current reading .25 and nitrites went right back to 2-5ppm and nitrates same. i’m so confused on adding ammonia and when not too and now i’m 2 steps backwards wait for nitrite once again before dosing?! Did i mess it up by adding more ammonia? and is it even close if it could even process 1ppm in 24 hours?! any help would be great first time cycling here!

Azedenkae

Hi! need some cycling help! readings.. .25 ammonia 2-5 ppm nitrite it’s hard to tell which one it is but most likely 5! and nitrate 40-80ppm again these colors are so close if anything in the middle of those 2! but here’s where it got stuck .. ammonia has been processing down to zero and I stopped adding it because nitrites spiked and would not move at all give them time to catch up i stopped dosing for about 3 days nitrite finally dropped and was dropping quick to about .50 i added ammonia to only 1ppm 24 hours ago it did not process and it’s at the current reading .25 and nitrites went right back to 2-5ppm and nitrates same. i’m so confused on adding ammonia and when not too and now i’m 2 steps backwards wait for nitrite once again before dosing?! Did i mess it up by adding more ammonia? and is it even close if it could even process 1ppm in 24 hours?! any help would be great first time cycling here!
No, this is right. Nothing too surprising, and in fact this is exactly expected. Ammonia can read like 0.25ppm even if it is lower anyways. And nitrite spiking a bit is fine. The idea, and point, is just that it will go away faster and faster.

The way to check how your cycle is progressing is by only dosing ammonia when nitrite is also zero. That way, you can track the amount of time it takes for nitrite to be zero each time after dosing. Right now it might be three days, but hopefully it'll soon be two days for nitrite to reach zero each time you dose ammonia, and then well, one day. And then yay!

karilf

No, this is right. Nothing too surprising, and in fact this is exactly expected. Ammonia can read like 0.25ppm even if it is lower anyways. And nitrite spiking a bit is fine. The idea, and point, is just that it will go away faster and faster.

The way to check how your cycle is progressing is by only dosing ammonia when nitrite is also zero. That way, you can track the amount of time it takes for nitrite to be zero each time after dosing. Right now it might be three days, but hopefully it'll soon be two days for nitrite to reach zero each time you dose ammonia, and then well, one day. And then yay!
thank you! so do not dose ammonia from now til nitrite reads zero? then start dosing how much ammonia once nitrite is at zero? nothing will happen if it takes days for nitrite to go down again and ammonia being zero?

Azedenkae

thank you! so do not dose ammonia from now til nitrite reads zero? then start dosing how much ammonia once nitrite is at zero? nothing will happen if it takes days for nitrite to go down again and ammonia being zero?
Nothing bad will happen. You'll just give the best chance for your nitrite-oxidizers to reproduce uninhibited. ^_^

So yeah, I'd recommend dosing 2ppm ammonia when nitrite reads zero.

1ppm works too. So does 4ppm. The differences are as follows:
  • 1ppm: this is probably how much ammonia produced from a standard tank, even with a decent amount of food added.
  • 2ppm: for really heavily stocked tanks.
  • 4ppm: this is just for those who wants extra nitrification capacity from the get go, in case anything goes awry.

karilf

Nothing bad will happen. You'll just give the best chance for your nitrite-oxidizers to reproduce uninhibited. ^_^

So yeah, I'd recommend dosing 2ppm ammonia when nitrite reads zero.

1ppm works too. So does 4ppm. The differences are as follows:
  • 1ppm: this is probably how much ammonia produced from a standard tank, even with a decent amount of food added.
  • 2ppm: for really heavily stocked tanks.
  • 4ppm: this is just for those who wants extra nitrification capacity from the get go, in case anything goes awry.
Hi! I have a question with the nitrites again! When they finally disappear and don’t come back with dosing ammonia is that a good thing? or did something happen! but my issue now is i’m left with .25 ammonia and isn’t going away within the 24 hours but I have not seen nitrite since it zeroed out i’m so confused I figured even with dosing ammonia the nitrite would still rise and come down within the 24 hours like ammonia does! any help would be great!

jdhef

It's a good thing once nitites zero out after being elevated. It means your nitrite converting bacteria colony is large enough to process all of the nitrite being produced.

Of course since the nitrite converting bacteria converts nitrites into nitrates, if your nitrate level isn't rising you have a problem.

Many people claim they connot get rid of that last .25ppm of ammonia. So I would say so long as your ammonia is dropping top .25 within 24 hours and you have 0ppm nitrites and rising nitrates, you're good.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mikeysbetta
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl