Help With Tank & Algae

1. Krista8677

Krista8677 New Member Member

So I help my mom with cleaning her 5 gallon tank quite often. She has a 5 gallon tank, originally it was for glofish but after 3 years they finally passed :( Now she has a couple of white cloud minnows in there and they are doing great! Problem is, she has always had an issue with algae. First it was green algae, which I know sometimes can be from lighting so we took care of it and it went away. Now her big problem is brown algae. I have no clue as to how to get rid of it! I even, which I normally would never do, scrubbed the entire tank down top to bottom and still, the brown stuff. It's to the point of we're upgrading her to a 10 gallon and starting fresh. I know her water is okay because I've tested it...so does anyone know why or where the brown comes from? And how to stop it? I read somewhere it can be do to excess waste? Any ideas are appreciated...sorry for the long post!

2. h

hermitdude New Member Member

I don't know much about minnows but they sound like great fish

3. VioletSS

VioletSS Valued Member Member

I've had a constant struggle with brown algae/diatoms. I added Phosgard to my filter and it's helped. All tanks are different of course. but if you've tried everything else - it might be worth a shot.

4. pixelhoot

pixelhoot Valued Member Member

5. Noviceinwisconsin

Noviceinwisconsin New Member Member

I had a problem with brown algae for a short time. I would just wipe it off the glass during weekly water changes and after a couple weeks it went away. Hopefully it won't be a long term issue for you.

6. BuddyD

BuddyD Valued Member Member

Maybe small algae eaters like ottos.

7. OP
    OP
    Krista8677

8. newfishguyhelpme

newfishguyhelpme New Member Member

I had a really bad case of brown algae/diatoms I tried everything I could find spent a bunch of money on uv filters and chems to no avail in the end it got beat by an outbreak of a hitchhiker snails I'm 90% sure they are Malaysian trumpet snails they bred so fast they ate all brown algae/diatoms in about two weeks now when I do my weekly water changes I pull out a bunch and pluck them from shell and feed to my fish they enjoy eating snails

9. C

Constantinos_S New Member Member

As far as I know brown algae can appear for various reasons. The main one is excess nutrients in your water column. Try siphon as much as you can. Also if you have a planted tank and you're adding a liquid fertilizer, reduce the dose to 1/2 of the dose that's recommended on the bottle. I used to have a lot of it and now I barely notice it. I'm sure that'll help.

10. A

Alex MacFarlane New Member Member

Basically I had a 5 gallon fish tank and the algae was there. So my aquarium was getting some problem. I had nothing to do that time. Then I change the aquarium and brought the high quality 10 gallon fish tank. Now this is perfect for all ways.

11. OP
    OP
    Krista8677

I think that is part of my mom's problem too is her tank is just a tad bit too small. So we are upgrading to a 10 gallon soon.