Help Help with strange silver dollar behavior

RosiePosie

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i've had my silver dollar for about 5 years. Not having much knowledge on the species he has been alone (as far as other silvers go) for almost his entire life. He has been living in a tall and narrow 30gal hexagonal tank for about 3-4 years. After getting to know my fish and observing his behaviors i came to the conclusion that he was unhappy in this tank as there was "no room" for him to swim or grow for that matter. He has always been very skid-dish and would rub his nose on the side of the tank sometimes for 20 minutes swimming furiously. Due to finances and living situations i was unable to get a more suitable tank till very recently. i have recently moved him to a 40gal rectangular shaped tank thinking he would be much happier. This does not seem to be the case. It seems like he now is rubbing his nose on the sides of the tank more than he used to. He does this very forcefully it seems to me, he just seems very uncomfortable. i've been contemplating getting another dollar or two to help his feel more at ease, but i don't know if that would help, as he has been "head honcho" for so long. What i am most worried about is his constant rubbing against the sides of the tank.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS BEHAVIOR MIGHT MEAN OR WHY HE DOES IT??

please keep in mind this new tank has only been running a few weeks, these are my most recent test results:
Ammonia:1.0
NO2:0
NO3:5.0
pH:6.0
*measures are being taken to fix the pH and ammonia although the pH did unexpectedly spike from it's usual 7 range.

ALSO-he seems to been hanging out in a not so entirely vertical position which i have never seem him do b4, he just seems slightly off.

helen38

Valued Member
Reaction score
my large 5inch silver dollar came with a hexagonal tank i bought, thinking i was doing him a favour i put him in my 55gl rectangle tank. he just hid for days and would not eat. i bought him a new friend and put him back in his hexagonal tank and hes doing fine again.

RosiePosie

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My tank includes my silver dollar who is only 1.5-2", a 6-8" albino algae eater and 1 small ghost catfish, whose companion was lost in the move.

i am unsure if the behavior will stop once the ammonia goes due to the fact that he has always had this strange behavior, just not as intense.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Once you get your water chemistry where it needs to be, get him a couple of buddies. (or 3 or 4) Silver Dollars are schooling fish. I'm sure he'd be much happier with a few of his own kind. Too, they tend to stress a few days once they've been moved. Don't over stock Good luck.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I'd get two more to add when the tank balances. They are usually skiddish...especially when you only have one. As for the pacing...rubbing...do you turn the light off when he does that? My 3 love having the light off...they cruise around more. My bigger dollar..5"....sometimes freaks out...and I just shut the light off and he calms down.

I hope all goes well.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the tank needs to be cycled as he is showing effects of the ammonia...daily water changes are needed with some prime to detox the ammonia and keep him safe....once the cycle is completed, you can slowly add some buddies for him.....do you have any of the gravel/filter media still running from the other tank? if so, it will help seed the new tank...

RosiePosie

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If i am to add more silver dollars how many would be best, ALSO do they need to be the same size as my current dollar or can they be smaller???
thanx

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Judging by your stock list in your profile, you should be fine adding 2 more. Your water chemistry has to come first

happygrl

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you haven't mentioned water temp? they eat and move around alot more when the temp is 78 -80. your ph is low b/c your nitrates are to high. i have a 30 gal hex with 2 HOB 20/40 aqua filters. Are you using carbon? I have experienced the carbon turns acid when it's warn out and starts putting contaminants back in the water. do a 50%water change rinse your
filters out with existing tank water and put back. good luck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom