Help With Stocking Ideas

Chrisrod340

Hello Everyone thanks for taking your time to read,

My fishless cycle is almost complete, and I am wondering what types of fish would be great for my 25 gallon tank. I am looking to stock the tank as much as I can. I am new to the hobby so I am not sure about many fishes. If you guys can give me stock suggestions I will greatly appreciate it. Or if you have any cool fish recommendations I should look for.
Thanks.
Also, I really wanted an angel fish, but i heard 25 is too small. Is this correct?

Gel0city

Generally you want a 29 gallon for angel fish. How about some gourami or a group of tetras or endlers?

YellowGuppy

If I could do it all over again, I'd give greater consideration to including kuhli loaches in my tank! Mostly it's a question of finding what YOU want.

- A tight shoal of lots of smaller tetras?
- A peaceful centerpiece fish? (Gourami?)
- An adorable little carnivore? (Or four? Pea puffers!)
- A highly planted regional biotope that's more about the aquascaping than the fish?
- A bunch of oddballs? (Crayfish and the like)

What's your style? What interests you? Do you have a particular colour you want to include? Do you find the idea of transparent critters fascinating, or revolting?

There are so many lists out there about what you COULD stock a 25-gallon tank with, but the real benefit of a forum is having someone help create something based on your own interests!

Chrisrod340

Generally you want a 29 gallon for angel fish. How about some gourami or a group of tetras or endlers?
I might consider a gourami they look pretty cool. Thanks for the recommendation!

If I could do it all over again, I'd give greater consideration to including kuhli loaches in my tank! Mostly it's a question of finding what YOU want.

- A tight shoal of lots of smaller tetras?
- A peaceful centerpiece fish? (Gourami?)
- An adorable little carnivore? (Or four? Pea puffers!)
- A highly planted regional biotope that's more about the aquascaping than the fish?
- A bunch of oddballs? (Crayfish and the like)

What's your style? What interests you? Do you have a particular colour you want to include? Do you find the idea of transparent critters fascinating, or revolting?

There are so many lists out there about what you COULD stock a 25-gallon tank with, but the real benefit of a forum is having someone help create something based on your own interests!
I want to create a community tank with as many different species as I can. I know a 25 gallon is not that big so it might be hard to do. And most fishes for these tank size are school fish from what I see. I will be okay with doing 3 of 4 types of schooling fish if that's possible for the size. Thanks for your time!

Gel0city

I want to create a community tank with as many different species as I can. I know a 25 gallon is not that big so it might be hard to do. And most fishes for these tank size are school fish from what I see. I will be okay with doing 3 of 4 types of schooling fish if that's possible for the size. Thanks for your time!
A 25 gallon is a pretty tight squeeze for 3 schooling fish. Generally one or two schools make the group feel more secure, rather than fighting for space and stressed out. You can fit lots of tetras or endlers if you would like, and for the bottom dwellers a group of 5-6 corydoras. Panda corydoras should be able to fit in your tank, since they don't get too big.

YellowGuppy

Got it. That helps! And yes, most small fish do like schools.

Some of the least-schooly little guys I've seen are livebearers: guppies, platys, and mollies (I wouldn't go with swordtails—they're also livebearers, but probably get bigger than you'd like in that tank). They like having members of the same species around, but it's perhaps not as imperative as with other species who might get aggressive in smaller groups. Females = SO MANY BABIES, so proceed with caution here, especially if you're looking to push your stocking size as it is. A few males can add some great variety.

A honey gourami might be a nice addition, pending comparability with whatever else you're thinking of stocking. You could probably do a bristle nosed pleco in that size of tank, as well, which gets you something on the bottom layer that's just a single fish.

Chrisrod340

A 25 gallon is a pretty tight squeeze for 3 schooling fish. Generally one or two schools make the group feel more secure, rather than fighting for space and stressed out. You can fit lots of tetras or endlers if you would like, and for the bottom dwellers a group of 5-6 corydoras. Panda corydoras should be able to fit in your tank, since they don't get too big.
Would 2 schooling fish and one center piece fish be too much? I am a big fan of panda corydoras so I will mostly get them. Or will 6 pandas and 6 other schooling fish be stocked enough.

Gel0city

Would 2 schooling fish and one center piece fish be too much? I am a big fan of panda corydoras so I will mostly get them. Or will 6 pandas and 6 other schooling fish be stocked enough.
Honestly I would go with one type of schooling fish. Or you could go with a centerpiece fish, like a honey gourami. You could keep at most 3.

redmare

I really adore corydoras. You could get a big school of pygmy cories (I have fallen head over heels in love with them and wanna get a school of like 100 one day) or a few (6) bigger ones. Cories or kuhlis on the bottom, a schooling fish of your chosen flavour like a tetra or rasbora, and a centerpiece like a gourami, ram, apisto, or even a betta would make a super fun tank. That's my next project.

YellowGuppy

Oooo! I just remembered about killies! Might be worth looking into—I think there are some smaller ones that might not need groups to be comfortable.

Chrisrod340

Got it. That helps! And yes, most small fish do like schools.

Some of the least-schooly little guys I've seen are livebearers: guppies, platys, and mollies (I wouldn't go with swordtails—they're also livebearers, but probably get bigger than you'd like in that tank). They like having members of the same species around, but it's perhaps not as imperative as with other species who might get aggressive in smaller groups. Females = SO MANY BABIES, so proceed with caution here, especially if you're looking to push your stocking size as it is. A few males can add some great variety.

A honey gourami might be a nice addition, pending comparability with whatever else you're thinking of stocking. You could probably do a bristle nosed pleco in that size of tank, as well, which gets you something on the bottom layer that's just a single fish.
I love the honey gourami that is a must! Thanks for the suggestion .

Danny002

If you like gouramis, here's something that may work out for you:

2-3 honey gouramis (they're peaceful, and they like the company of other honeys)
8-10 ember tetras (small and the color scheme sort of compliments the honeys)
6 pygmy cories (also small and there are a couple different kinds of small cories to chose from, I think there's 3)

This way you could get the general look you want without compromising the fish, as the fish are pretty small. With this being said, I would like to include two notes:
1- In my experience, schooling fish don't truly school in smaller tanks unless they're stressed, such as during a large water change or when they first move into a new tank, so realize that you probably aren't going to see that picture-perfect schooling behavior in the general day-to-day
2- I'm no gourami expert, so if there's an issue with this stocking, someone please chime in here and correct me!

Chrisrod340

Love this idea! Anyone see a problem or suggestion with the stocking? Thanks for commenting!

Also open to 2-3 honey gourami and one type of schooling fish.

peddidle

If you like gouramis, here's something that may work out for you:

2-3 honey gouramis (they're peaceful, and they like the company of other honeys)
8-10 ember tetras (small and the color scheme sort of compliments the honeys)
6 pygmy cories (also small and there are a couple different kinds of small cories to chose from, I think there's 3)...

2- I'm no gourami expert, so if there's an issue with this stocking, someone please chime in here and correct me!

I would do 4-5 honeys in a 25g if going with the suggested ember tetras and pygmy cories. My experience is that 4 live quite comfortably in 20g with additional fish (I have 8 rasboras along with 3 amanos and a nerite racer snail for tank mates).

YellowGuppy

Chrisrod340 - Have you considered plants at all? Or snails?

Chrisrod340

Chrisrod340 - Have you considered plants at all? Or snails?
I have not since this is my first tank. Im not to familiar with live plants.

I would do 4-5 honeys in a 25g if going with the suggested ember tetras and pygmy cories. My experience is that 4 live quite comfortably in 20g with additional fish (I have 8 rasboras along with 3 amanos and a nerite racer snail for tank mates).
Thanks for the input! Rasboras do look cool also!

YellowGuppy

They're so much less intimidating than I originally suspected when I started. If you have a decent light, there are so many species that you can literally just drop into your tank and they'll grow. They help eat quality immensely, and fish generally are happier and healthier in a planted tank. Worth looking into! Even if only a single anubias, a sprig or two of hornwort, and a clump of Java moss or something.

peddidle

I have not since this is my first tank. Im not to familiar with live plants.
Many fish need plants to be happy—live or fake is up to you, but they need them to feel secure and/or to find their only little territory. Honeys for sure need plants.

Chrisrod340

Awesome! Thanks for the tip, I will do more research. That being said, I also have another question maybe you can chime in. If i decide to do live plants i might want to redecorate my whole set up. Should i do it after my tank cycles or slowly start making changes now. I'm currently just waiting for my nitrites to go down.

Many fish need plants to be happy—live or fake is up to you, but they need them to feel secure and/or to find their only little territory. Honeys for sure need plants.
I do have quite a bit of fake plants.

bmuckluck

My angel is currently in a 20 but hoping to get a 50 soon, but as long as its tall they have room to swim, although that limits your schooling fish options. I think one school of something smaller - (danios, rasboras, tetras - whatever you fancy). Then you could do a smaller pleco or a group of otocinclus. Then maybe a gourami if you want a centerpiece fish?

YellowGuppy

...Should i [get live plants] after my tank cycles or slowly start making changes now. I'm currently just waiting for my nitrites to go down...

That's part of what makes live plants so awesome—they eat all those nitrogen compounds (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) and use them as food. You can add them right away, and the more plants you have, the less you have to be concerned about cycling. They make a setup healthier, more stable, less work, and more attractive.

...unless fake neon plastic coral and plastic people plants are really your style, in which case, you do you!

redmare

Some live plants are stupid easy to grow! Java fern takes about as much effort as a plastic plant personally I think nothing compares to a beautifully planted tank... or even a badly planted one!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
nickbiaz
Replies
Views
Tjkj
  • Question
Replies
Views
Nataku