Help with stocking idea

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by charitystripe, Dec 4, 2012.

1. charitystripeNew MemberMember

My 10 gallon is going through a fishless cycle right now, and hopefully I will be ready to stock my first tank by the weekend.

After researching my options with a 10g, I've narrowed it down to following choices.

Honey gourami (1 male)
    Sunset platy (1 male)
    Spotted rasbora (4)
    Endlers livebearer (1)
    Pygmy cories (3)
    Ghost shrimp (2)
    Dwarf African frog (1)
    Maybe a couple guppies

I'd be interested in getting ideas how I can cut this down to a proper amount so as to not overstock.

Thanks in advance

2. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

First, drop the frog (not literally.) They do much better in a species-only tank. Ghost shrimp have been known to shred fins, so if you get them the honey, cories and guppies are out. Cories should be in a school of at least 6, and I would put a schooler like the rasbora in a group of no less than 5. Guppies as of late are not the hardy specimens they used to be. Does that help?

3. OP
    OP
    c

charitystripeNew MemberMember

That does help thanks. I will take out frog, guppies, and ghost shrimp. That leaves me with

Pygmy Cories
    Honey gourami
    Sunset platy
    Spotted rasboras
    Endlers livebearers

If I get 5 rasboras, 4-5 cories, and 1 of everything else, is that still overstocked? Maybe leave the 1 platy out?

4. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

My suggestion is 6 cories, 6 rasporas and a honey gourami. From what I understand endlers like to be in groups too. And the gourami is fine by himself. Platies usually like to be together too.
    If you can't find pygmys, panda cories won't get too big.

5. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

For pygmy cories I would recommended a school of 8 and more.

6. OP
    OP
    c

Thanks. Is there any specific order I should should put them in the tank? From what I've read, none of these are aggressive or territorial, so would the order not matter?

Of course I plan to give a few weeks gap in between introducing each species to my tank.

7. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

I think a 10 is too small for a centerpiece and 2 schools of fish. I would choose what you like better between the cories and rasboras and add the honey.

8. JDcichlidlover

I would still add the gourami last. It probably doesn't matter which of the other two you add first. I would probably put the cories in first since they're smallest so the can grow a bit. But that's just me :D

9. JDcichlidlover

I think as long as you're prepared to do a water change at least once a week you should be fine. Cories on the bottom and rasporas in the middle with the gourami everywhere. They won't be crowding each other too much. Lots of color and movement in the tank

10. QQQUUUUAADDD

It would be too much going on. Pygmy cories don't really stay on the bottom. They go everywhere. The bioload would just be too large.

11. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I agree it may be too much, but whichever way you decide to go, I would add the honey last.

12. OP
    OP
    c

What other cories would stay at the bottom more and would like a school of 3-4?

13. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

None for a 10 gallon :;th

14. QQQUUUUAADDD

And not many at all. Most cories don't appreciate being in groups less than 5 or 6. :) Quite frankly, pygmy cory species are the only ones suitable for a 10 gallon tank. Pygmies do not appreciate such a small group.

15. OP
    OP
    c

Ok, my tank is fully cycled! Took 5 long weeks, and I'm finally ready to get some fish now. I'm going to pick up some pygmy cories today. Would it be bad if i also pick up the school of the spotted rasboras at the same time? Or is it necessary to wait a few weeks?

16. Gordinian

GordinianWell Known MemberMember

I would wait a while if I were you, it sounds like you're still not 100% sure on your plan (though maybe you are!).

I don't think I'd do 2 schools, but maybe you could do 6+ cories, a gourami, then maybe a couple endlers. This might be a better choice for you, because IMO, two schools won't fit into a 10 gallon, but one school and a couple extras could.

17. OP
    OP
    c

Thanks, I'll get the cories for now, and take my time to figure out out next ones.

18. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I also wouldn't do 2 schools in a 10. That's about as small as tanks come...

19. tim1989New MemberMember

We started with a 10 gallon and it was difficult to keep going well. Being overstocked didn't help, obviously. It was the perfect example of what's wrong with small tanks.

I don't know exactly what happened, but after sitting without fish a while, the pH in our 10 gallon tank dropped. I don't know that much about all of that stuff, but when you get fish, get the water tested again and make sure they test the ph. I don't remember if places did that when we brought water in for testing, or not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice