Help with Stocking a 35 Gallon bowfront

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by bacrabby, Mar 29, 2010.

1. b

bacrabby New Member Member

So i have a 35 gallon bowfront, I want it to be a malawi tank but the fish choices in my area are too few. Right now I have 2 Mbambas i think, 1 red zebra and 1 parallel striped mbuna.. are the names correct im not sure.. im only a beginner,, any input would be appreciated

2. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Hi Bacrabby, First of all Welcome to Fishlores.
    In my own opinion a 35 gal. may be to small. Mbunas are a great choice but can range from 4-7 inches as an adult. I think a minimum size should be 55 gal. just my opinion.
    As for the correct names, Pictures would be more useful. There are many, many, many ( as in 1,00's ) of Lake Malawi Species. And many of them are Parallel Striped.
    The one inch rule for sizing does not work with Cichlids as the have more requirements, such as hiding places, tunnels, etc.
    I hope this helps, and good luck....

3. OP
    OP
    b

bacrabby New Member Member

Thanks, yeah I know that 35 is a bit too small, but it is for now what I can allow because im moving soon and don't know if i can bring with me a big tank with where im going...

I'll upload some pics as soon as possible

4. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fl, bacrabby! :)

If you aren't sure about what space you'll end up with when you move, I suggest that you wait until the move before adding anything else to the tank. If you need help IDing the fish, please feel free to post photos.

Good luck :)

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore Bacrabby. :;hi2

Good advice above from Doughboy & Meenu. Especially the part about waiting before getting more fish. The last thing you want is to stock the tank & then find out that you won't be able to upgrade to a larger tank. Then you have a bunch of fish you can't provide a home for. Always best to wait until you have the right tank for the job & then stock it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice