Help with starting a 10g invert tank

Pridedcloth3

So the last of my small cichlids are moved into my 40b and I have a bunch of marine stuff I got in a great purchase so tome to try something different. So 10g tank I've cleaned it and will get to the filter later. In the purchase I got a shopping bag of crushed coral, saltwater test kits, 5-5 gallon buckets of live rock, probably 30lbs of skeletons, 4 books on corals fish, and a bunch of hydrometers along with a refractometer. I plan on mixing some of the cc with sand and probably throw in a frag or two. With it being a 10g I was thinking inverts no fish so wondering what would be best to go with for stock? Also what would be the best coral to go with and what kind of lighting? Looking for something hardy because first attempt.

Theulli

If you're looking for the most hardy corals look no further than polyps/soft corals, just note that they may spread like wildfire. For example, pom pom xenias are really fun to watch, and hardy to the point that people use them for nutrient export. I am not a lighting expert, but I'd tell you that for a 10g it's probably easier to accidentally overlight than underlight.

If there are no fish you probably don't need a CuC that sifts the sand for leftover food, so you could skip the hermit crabs, and 10g is going to be too small for a lot of the sand sifting critters. Maybe porcelain crabs, feather dusters, a small tuxedo urchin (if you don't mind gluing all your corals down)? For snails I am partial to red foot moon snails and red footed trochuses, since they bring the most color.

Jesterrace

IMHO a 10 gallon tank is too small for a tuxedo urchin and they need well established tanks to do well long term. I have one in my 90 gallon that does plenty of work on his own. I would look at maybe some smaller shrimp (ie sexy shrimp) for that tank.

Theulli

Agreed, you would need to get a small one and be prepared to move him out when he gets big

coralbandit

What are you going to use for water ? Inverts will not tolerate a lot of the stuff in water that the fish will.
A coral banded shrimp [just 1] will be very entertaining and love the tank to himself and corals .
The easiest corals feed of light so you need a decent light .What is your light you plan to use ?
Soft corals like leather are easiest IMO.
Feather dusters and mushrooms are really cool also .

Latest threads

Top Bottom