Help with sponge filter!

FishPatrol

I am pretty new to sponge filters, but bought one early in July to use in my new quarantine tank. Being that it was just for the 10 gallon quarantine tank, I got the Aquaneat 10 gallon sponge filter and it’s powered using my Whisper 60 that is shared between the quarantine tank and my 40 gallon breeder (just as a bubbler there - I also have an Emperor 400 HOB for that tank). The sponge IS seeded as I kept it in my big established tank for a few weeks and the water in the 10 gallon is testing ok (and has a healthy amount of nitrates present), BUT to get to my long winded question, is this size sponge too small??? I bought 5 black skirt tetras yesterday to quarantine, and started to worry afterwards whether or not that size sponge is adequate to support them. Should I buy one that’s rated for 20,30,40, etc gallons or is the 10 gallon one adequate as long as it’s just short term and I don’t have any more fish than this in it (with frequent water changes)? It’s also bare bottomed. If I were to start over I’d probably start with a bigger one but now with this one seeded, I’m not sure if I should switch things up mid quarantine or if that’s necessary (if these fish will be ok). Please help! I’m overly paranoid about my fish dying and I need a little reassurance or redirection.

FishPatrol

Note: All the fish currently look very healthy, I just don’t want that to change, and so I wanted to get opinions.

Upvote 0

FinalFins

Don't pay attention to "rated for x gallons". That is just indicating the size of the filter itself.

The amount of flow the air has really determines the efficiency of the filter.

Upvote 0

FishPatrol

Don't pay attention to "rated for x gallons". That is just indicating the size of the filter itself.

The amount of flow the air has really determines the efficiency of the filter.
So are you saying what I have is ok because it’s powered by the Whisper 60 (even though it’s split between two tanks)? Sorry if my question is silly.

Upvote 0

FinalFins

Just because it is powered with the whisper doesn't make it good- its the bubbles that determine efficiency- if the bubble flow is the most it can go then its fine, if the bubble flow is weak and the bubbles are small then you need to crank the air flow up.

Upvote 0

Tallen78

Just because it is powered with the whisper doesn't make it good- its the bubbles that determine efficiency- if the bubble flow is the most it can go then its fine, if the bubble flow is weak and the bubbles are small then you need to crank the air flow up.
Yes it’s the air u put to it I agree and I only grab bigger ones for the bigger sponge more surface area for bb to grow on being that there is no media

Upvote 0

FishPatrol

I turned it up as much as possible. It’s also placed in the middle of the tank for maximum circulation. Here it is - look ok? I’d say there are a lot of bubbles... (Also, that tower decoration was a piece from my big tank, so I used that to help bring in a little extra BB)

Quarantine tank:
Bubble flow
(Sorry if it’s a little blurry. I didn’t know how to upload here other than YouTube link, and they downsized my video quality)

Upvote 0

Tol

I like to run airstones inside sponge filters. I have not used the aquaneat ones, just the ATI hydrosponges, but they look about the same. The stone will make the bubbles finer, quieter and may help oxygenate a little better. What you have is perfectly fine IMO though

Upvote 0

Katie993

I like to run airstones inside sponge filters. I have not used the aquaneat ones, just the ATI hydrosponges, but they look about the same. The stone will make the bubbles finer, quieter and may help oxygenate a little better. What you have is perfectly fine IMO though
I have heard of people doing this but how do you set it up?

Upvote 0

Tol

I have heard of people doing this but how do you set it up?

So the airline already runs down into the filter and connects to the top of the bullseye piece. On the bottom side of the bullseye, just add a short piece of airline to the it and then a stone at the end of the airline, turn the filter back on and done. Very easy and I prefer it to the glug glug of sponge filters without them. I make the airline long enough so the stone sits close to the bottom of the filter, not sure if it matters that much about that though.

Upvote 0

Islandvic

FishPatrol , can you post pic of your sponge filter, that way we can correctly recommend how to use an air stone? Maybe pic of it in tank and pick of it out of tank taken apart? If not, a link to it online will suffice.

Just want to make sure your model is what I'm picturing, so I can give a correct answer for adding air stone

I've got a good idea about what it looks like, and the mod I might suggest will be similar to the mod I did on a Azoo and Hikari sponge filter to accommodate the air stone.

I mainly use the ATI brand like Tol referenced, which do not need any mods to use an airstone

Upvote 0

Tol

True. I am speaking just on experience adding stones to ATI branded ones. The Aquaneat looks very similar based on the video FishPatrol shared, but the inside of it may be a bit different and may need some extra steps to fit.

Upvote 0

FishPatrol

FishPatrol , can you post pic of your sponge filter, that way we can correctly recommend how to use an air stone? Maybe pic of it in tank and pick of it out of tank taken apart? If not, a link to it online will suffice.

Just want to make sure your model is what I'm picturing, so I can give a correct answer for adding air stone

I've got a good idea about what it looks like, and the mod I might suggest will be similar to the mod I did on a Azoo and Hikari sponge filter to accommodate the air stone.

I mainly use the ATI brand like Tol referenced, which do not need any mods to use an airstone

This is it in my 10 gallon tank:
Filter in tank
And picture of it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5Z6V8Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fpejFb5EY28YC

F5783DC4-C6C6-438D-BBF9-0E8E665C0B17.png

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DirtyWater
Replies
Views