Help with sponge filter

Mhamilton0911

I just purchased the sponge filter, with the no clop airstone they sell as well. I am having large air bubbles escape and go thru the sponge and up, rather than going up the tube like the small bubbles do. Did I set this up incorrectly?

I took a video, but I'm old and can't figure out how to post one. I'm working on that XD

kansas

Could your pump be too strong? Too much air?

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Hi Mhamilton0911,
I don’t have Corys sponge filters but I have seen what you describe happen with many other brands. It’s to much air when that happens. Ether bleed off some air or put a valve on the airline and put back pressure on the pump shortening the live of the pump. The pump is to strong for the number of filters running.

Upvote 0

julifhy

I had the same problem and I just figured out how to do it yesterday!
I took pictures to help show you how to do it lol:

4E6494D8-0243-47C9-9C38-399DC157F2EA.jpeg
4FE62119-7B82-4DE3-A600-D7A96D7F1CBC.jpeg
You have to cut a some tubing to attach the air stone to:

561366C7-AE61-4F21-B484-186A63667293.jpeg

ECDAB20A-4870-427F-AFB9-556FF430A98A.jpeg
(Ignore the old town haha)
My air stone is too big for this, but it should work with the one you have!

I had the same problem and I just figured out how to do it yesterday!
I took pictures to help show you how to do it lol:

You have to cut a some tubing to attach the air stone to:

(Ignore the old town haha)
My air stone is too big for this, but it should work with the one you have!
I just realized this isn’t the same problem as I was having, but hopefully the pictures might still help.
Did you put the air stone in the filter? Or is it just the filter doing this?

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I had the same problems when I got my first one. I finally figured out that the piece of air line tubing I had inside the filter to hold the air stone was too long. It should be as short as possible, so that the air stone is near the top of the sponge instead of further down inside it.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

JettsPapa ,
The Length of air line inside a sponge filter needs to be as long as possible to replicate all of the brands of sponge filters I have seen. All sponge filters that I own have the air outlet at the very bottom of the lift tube.This gives maximum lift or draw . While a short hose as you describe would still lift water it is not how many manufacturers have made their sponge filters. Cory is doing a poor job of recommending something without offering instructions by the sound of it?
image.jpg
Note the hole in the base of this filter, the air rises from the extreme bottom of the base.
image.jpg

Upvote 0

CTYankee79

Cory actually has a really good blog post on how to setup their sponge filter, you can search their website.

I have the same filter and most of the bubbles come out of the tube but some do come out of the top of the sponge as you describe, but as I understand it unless they are coming out the sides of the sponge it’s ok? I was sort of wondering if it was too much air as well but it’s not super noticeable on mine.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I am almost ready to put money on them releasing a finer sponge. I am sure Cory will have a justifiable reason why everyone should upgrade to what has become industry standard pore size foam.
That corse sponge really is way to big IMO just looking at what is available from every other manufacturer. I have tried a large pore sponge and was shocked when Cory chose that style. Until he said the ( dozen) Ziss filters in his fish room were being changed because they made more noise than a sponge filter. ( I call him on that) .I have a lot of time for Cory but at the end of the day he’s just another businessman making money.

Sorry CTYankee79 but selling something without proper written instructions and requiring people to go to their web site is just a little manipulative.

Just to be clear I still have a solid place for their web site in my inbox. Cory is a great guy , helpful and with a good attitude.

Upvote 0

CTYankee79

Sorry CTYankee79 but selling something without proper written instructions and requiring people to go to their web site is just a little manipulative.

Just to be clear I still have a solid place for their web site in my inbox. Cory is a great guy , helpful and with a good attitude.
I agree. Honestly there may have been written instructions with it, I don’t remember.

I think it is a great resource and business, especially for a new guy like me. However the more I learn about the hobby I’m starting to realize that Corys word is not necessarily the word of god. As you say he is a businessman. He is super helpful though, prolific videos and passionate about everything fishkeeping.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

JettsPapa ,
The Length of air line inside a sponge filter needs to be as long as possible to replicate all of the brands of sponge filters I have seen. All sponge filters that I own have the air outlet at the very bottom of the lift tube.This gives maximum lift or draw . While a short hose as you describe would still lift water it is not how many manufacturers have made their sponge filters. Cory is doing a poor job of recommending something without offering instructions by the sound of it?
image.jpg
Note the hole in the base of this filter, the air rises from the extreme bottom of the base.
image.jpg

I'm not disagreeing with you about where the air stone should be; just saying that when I moved mine higher I quit getting the big bubbles coming out of the sponge.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
DuaneV
Replies