Help with spawning

Christina34

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So....this is like the 7th time my Oscar's have laid eggs in the last 2 months. They always hatch and are swimming for a day or two then get eaten. I set up a 20 gallon tank to put the babies in this time. They laid yesterday at 5pm. The tank is "cycled". Water ,plants and a filter from the tank they were born in. I do not have any substrate. What should I add, if anything? I have course medium size gravel and sand I could use. I could even take out of the other tank. The only reason I ask is because the last time I tried this I had substrate and they just disappeared never to be seen again.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Substrate is not needed in a fry grow out tank. In fact it makes it difficult to see what needs vacuuming away. Vacuuming out old food is important as is changing some water a few times each week. I have never had Oscars but do have a few fry tanks getting special attention today. I change 15% approximately each day when the fry are very small. As I am feeding 4 times a day. In my case the fry are or were the size of a grain of sand. I am saying I feed a match head of food or less 4 times per day ,that is more than the fry can eat.

I suggest when you move the fry to the 20 you fill the tank with old water from the main tank.
I move fry around using a length of hose to siphon them into the next container.

OP
C

Christina34

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Flyfisha said:
Substrate is not needed in a fry grow out tank. In fact it makes it difficult to see what needs vacuuming away. Vacuuming out old food is important as is changing some water a few times each week. I have never had Oscars but do have a few fry tanks getting special attention today. I change 15% approximately each day when the fry are very small. As I am feeding 4 times a day. In my case the fry are or were the size of a grain of sand. I am saying I feed a match head of food or less 4 times per day ,that is more than the fry can eat.

I suggest when you move the fry to the 20 you fill the tank with old water from the main tank.
I move fry around using a length of hose to siphon them into the next container.
That's exactly what I did in my post above:)

They've hatched and are bopping around the bottom of the tank now. I'm culturing insofuria for them. I've never done that before so hopefully it takes.

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
@Christina34
Congrats! On the breeding,
Since I am considering "Oscars" your title caught my eye. No experience with them, but..
They are Cichlids and I have been successfully raising 100's of Bolivians and Electric Blue Acara.
For the most part mine are "Excellent" parents, so I let them take care of them. But I do remove either the male or female, due some aggression and eating once they become swimmers.
In fact I have about 7-8 dozen growing out now, in 5 tanks.
You've gotten some "Good" advise from @Flyfisha
You mentioned filter, of course sponge filters are best. If not, you'll need to cover the intake with a sponge to prevent losses.
I normally feed my swimmers, freshly hatched Baby brine shrimp and infusoria 3-4x per day for the 2-3 weeks then start adding adding pinches of finely ground -up powdered crumbles/pellets. I have found for best growth rate I do 2-3, 40% water changes per week. Just be careful, the fry have no fear of the siphon tube, so I always use a white of clear bucket to drain the water. I have found a few in the containers.
Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

@Flyfisha
"Interesting" the "Green" water idea.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You have gotten great advice so far. I just also wanted to add oscar fry you may not need to worry as much about culturing the smallest of the live foods. You can probably get away with micro worms (although even that may be too small), grindal worms, baby brine shrimp, etc. Then look into the bigger live foods like white worms, black worms, adult brine, etc.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oscar fry will start out easily on brine shrimp nauplii, and most prepared fry foods. Feed frequently, or they will start eating each other.

New Threads