Help With Soft Water?

bosefus06

Reaction score
I've had an aquarium up and running for years with no problems. Recently I moved to a new apartment and my fish started getting sick. My Mollies and Swordtails started getting skinny, would rock side to side, and eventually die. After researching the symptoms, I believe it is "shimmy". I learned shimmy can be caused by too few minerals. I bought a water hardness test kit, and my aquarium water and every tap in my apartment were:
GH ppm- 75
KH ppm- 60
pH- 7.6

Those are all too low for my fish. My apartment complex must be softening our water. The problem is I have no idea how to fix it. I barely even understand the science behind all this. If anyone could give me some advice I'd really appreciate it.

Here is the rest of the information for my aquarium:

55 gallon
Ammonia- 0 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 10 to 20 ppm
I change 20% of the water once per week

bosefus06

Reaction score
75g Discus Tank said:
First off, I would up the changes to around 50% a week(personal preference).

To make the water harder, try cuttlebone or crushed coral.
Thank you for the reply. If I used crushed coral, would it be a "set it and forget it" kind of thing? If so, I'd prefer that to an additive that I have to measure out with each water change.

Do you know how much crushed coral it would take to get my water where it needs to be?

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
bosefus06 said:
Thank you for the reply. If I used crushed coral, would it be a "set it and forget it" kind of thing? If so, I'd prefer that to an additive that I have to measure out with each water change.

Do you know how much crushed coral it would take to get my water where it needs to be?
I'm not sure on crushed coral amounts, but put it in a small baggie in the filter.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
bosefus06 said:

any additive that increases kH and gH needs to be replenished every so often. crushed coral in a fish safe mesh bag directly in your filter (or used as your substrate depending on the fish you have) seems to last longest.

we use oyster grit in mesh bags in our filters. it seems they need to be replaced every 2-4 months. we also use cuttlefish bone directly in the tanks & they've been there 5 months & still going strong.

ime it's easier to stabilise gH & maintain than kH. kH seems to get used up quicker in our tanks but we're on rainwater with 0kH and 0gH

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’ve used the crushed coral successfully too. Bought a 20 lb bag, used about 6-8 ounces in a stocking, in my filter.

Works great. PH tests would tell you how much, and how often you need to change it.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Crushed coral in the filter will very gradually increase KH. To increase GH you’ll need a GH booster like Seachem equilibrium, which is a dose with a water change supplement.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And if you're concerned about your tap water parameters, check what the "average" water testing/parameters/results are in your local town/city's website online. Ours here in Denver, CO's almost at 7.5-8! And mollies and platys like harder water. Some plants don't though! Had to soften my water up for my A. Swords a LOT...and you can purchase a GH/KH kit for only about $10.

Ooops! Nevermind, you already bought a test kit. My bad.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom