Help with sick fish!

1. Evan1 Initiate Member

My velvet swordtail just sits around now. I looked closer and it looks like it's skin is flaking or peeling, its eyes are cloudy, and it's tail seems to be deteriorating. Help, what's wrong and what do i do?

2. Durbkat Member Member

Sounds like he has fin rot and some kind of bacterial infection. What size tank and what fish are in the tank?

3. Evan1 Initiate Member

10 gallon tnak with 1 rainbow shark, 1 zebra danio, and 1 other velvet swordtail. He doesnt look good. what should i do?

4. Durbkat Member Member

Do you have pictures? Try treating him with a fin rot medicine and seperate him into a hospital tank so he doesn't spread diease to other fish. And one might want to add 5 more zebra danios because their schooling fish and like to be in groups of six or more.

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds like your swordtail has fin rot and some other infection going on. It probably needs a round of maracyn or maracyn II in a seperate tank.
    Is this your shark? http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1081 If so there are some care instructions. A 10 Gallon tank is too small. your danios like companionship and should be in groups of 6 or more and need lots of swimming room, something long is ideal.
    The 10 gallon is ideal for your swordtails. Hope thishelps. yell if you need anything.
    Carol

6. Evan1 Initiate Member

Thanks guys. any ideas what caused it?

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sometimes when the tank is crowded the water quality can cause it.
    Carol

8. Evan1 Initiate Member

I don't have a hospital tank, or medicine. What should i do?

9. Durbkat Member Member

Simple go to lps and buy medicine (duh, sorry) and get a 5 or 10 gallon tank with filter, gravel, and if you want fake plants.

10. Evan1 Initiate Member

Any alternatives to spending money I dont have?

11. Durbkat Member Member

Do you still live with your parents? If so ask if you can borrow some money and work it off doing chores.

12. Evan1 Initiate Member

Anymore suggestions anyone?

13. Durbkat Member Member

Nope nothing you can do to substute medicine. :-\

14. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Instead of another tank you could use a clean bucket with a bubbler in it. But the medicine is a must. I don't know where you live but I just paid $5.29 for maracyn II. Maybe you could do extra work, or earn that much. And yes I'm aware money is sometimes hard to come by.
    Carol

15. Evan1 Initiate Member

Thanks Carol. I'm totally available to purchase the neccessary products. I was just searching my possible options first to see if there WAS an alternative by chance. Would they get better on their own over time for instance, like humans can heal themselves of a common cold or such?

16. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Usually they don't get better by themselves. Sorry. Is there any change in your fish's condition today?

Carol

17. Evan1 Initiate Member

The original sword looks bad like it has for a few days, and the one it infected was never that bad to begin with, but looks beter since i've been watching it.

18. Durbkat Member Member

Nope they can't. Their immune system isn't strong enough.

19. Evan1 Initiate Member

Update. The second infected sword looks back to full health today. No visible things wrong with him. He seems to fine now. The original seems a bit better but mostly the same.

20. Evan1 Initiate Member

Update. Been about 4 days since i noticed the infection. Hadn't had a chance to teat them yet, yet they both seemed to improve on their own. So I moved them back into the main tank. They improved further after re-introducing them into the main tnak. No they both look almost fully back to health.