Help With Sick Fish

1. A

Ann Constantino Valued Member Member

I have a relatively new 20 gallon tank that I cycled carefully....I thought. I didn't add fish until ammonia and nitrite were 0. Lots of live plants, bacteria brought over on gravel and in filter material and plants from established healthy small tanks. Added 6 danios, 5 peppered corys, a mystery snail, two amano shrimp, and one neerite snail. All seemed well until I brought home a honey gourami who became sick, lethargic and refusing food, within 24 hours and has died. Two corys died the same day the gourami became sick and now a couple days later another cory looks like it's on its way out. The danios seem kind of hyper, even for them, but nervously hang in one corner of the tank. One was isolating himself yesterday, but now they are all together again, just acting weird. I haden't lost a single fish on my micro tanks in a year and that's why I thought I would rtry a 20 and now I'm afraid I'm killing everything. Is it possible the gourami brought in something? Help!

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

what are the parameters now? Could you also post a picture of your fish in order for us to diagnos.

3. OP
    OP
    A

I just did a 20% water change and parameters are ammonia <.25 (I don't know if all test kits use the same colors, but the color is between 0 and .25 if that makes sense), nitrite 0, nitrate .5. Photo attached, but not much help as I can't get a decent angle where they are hanging out. My son, who is more experienced, is suggesting I put the 2 remaining corys in one of my micro tanks, but I'm afraid if they have something they will give it to everyone in there.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    A

Another Cory died and a shrimp. I did another 20% water change. The guy at the fish store suggested antibiotics, but wouldn't that hamper the needed bacteria? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

5. OP
    OP
    A

Nothing has died in almost 72 hours. Another 20% water change and parameters are the same. When I noticed my 6 danios were kind of huddled in a low corner my son suggested they might be getting too much natural light from a nearby window, so I blocked it out with some blue posterboard. Now the danios are venturing all over the tank, but still kind of using that corner as home base. I'm not going to put any more fish in for at least three weeks, but am wondering if there is any way to know when that will be safe for sure. Thanks for any advice.